Fedex Have Killed my midibox sid!!!

Alkex

Hi,

I have moved from France to Los Angeles and Fedex have destroyed my midibox Sid, along with other beloved gear. the commercial stuff can be replaced easily, but I am really pissed off about all the hours of work gone into the midibox gone to waste.

I would like to make claim on it but have no idea how to value it, being home made.

What would you do? Any suggestions would really help

Thanks in advance

Alkex

:o  >:(

omg man.

i'm speechless again. so much money for this kind of service!  >:(

i can equate DIY project damage to a situation where photo lab looses your film: they're refunding you only for the new one, not for the effort and studio hours you've put onto.

on the other hand, you can make a comparison of similar synths available on the market, and approximate the loss.

both ways, Highly Sucks...  :'( custom items value much more than any money.

I`m really sorry to hear that Alkex. :( I liked your SID too. What happened... It is physically damaged or electronics by electrostatic? I don`t really think you could ever charge enough for custom builds like this. So much work in it. I hope you`ll get as much as you can.

This is easy.

Did you insure it for a fixed value? Then that's what you should get. If it's insured for replacement value, then you can either get an equivalent system commercially (andromeda?), or, and this is how I did it with a similar situation, you charge them for the cost of all parts, and construction time X*Y where X is the amount of hours it takes you to build it, and Y is your normal hourly pay rate.

Enjoy ;)

But with insurance, it can be a blessing in disguise.

if so it's a very good disguise!

sorry to hear about the loss - that's gutting!

it's this sort of service that causes these problems:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tN94ePhsd4&hl=en"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tN94ePhsd4&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tN94ePhsd4&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

thanks for all your feedback,

fedex managed to completely bend the front plate, and the mastic/bondo chassis has shattered.

I will try to get quotes for all new kits and for the front panel. I would like to make a wooden chasis in CAD this time, would you recommend a good company for making the objects?

It will be my first time, but I have allready done a little 3d so this will be fun.

From every death comes a rebirth! ;)

Its a two stepper:

1) you must have declared the value when you shiped it, else you can only get the fixed min (100USD with UPS. dont know FedEX's.)

2) Prove the value. An itemized parts list with price quotes from multiple dealers helps, as does direct links to the website pn. The investigator must prove every price, so giving them links makes them VERY happy and fast.

Next is your time...HARD to prove. It would help to show the build progress documentation from the forum!

Important to note that you can insure for any random value but you only get what you can prove. Better to state an absurdly high price than to low. If you under valued it (or didnt insure at all and took the default) then you wont get more than that.