Wanted! Man building SID chip substitutes.

Foona

A while back i found a page containing info "how-to-build" a SID chip.

This was a substitute SID chip based on two PIC's i think.....

I don't remember the name or the name, so it's very hard to google it..

anyone here know what im talking about?

The patent for the sid chip has expired right?

I wonder how much it would cost to go to the likes of Taiwan Semiconducters and remake the a few 1000 of these chips, or whatever the minimum production is?

Totally out of curiousity!

TOO much.  with wilba and the 6582's the only SID "remakes" i'd be interested in are 6581's.  i love the raw, distorted filter... call me crazy. :P

you mean "advanced sid substitute," right?

Of course bugfight!

Anything else would be rude.  8)

Together we ordered a smaller batch of TDA1543 DIP's from Voti.

Gotta find the ATmel's to now..

Finding the AVR's seem a bit harder then the DAC's.

you do realize mind that a simulation of the sid chip based around some digital technology wont actually provide the quirks of the real analog sid sound,, ie: what makes it interesting.

may as well hunt down one of the vst plugins ..quadrasid if i recall; at worst the hardware mentioned here wont hold an advantage over it ..and if i do remember right ..and they did actually model the filter behavior (etc) properly in the vst ,,then it should be the nearest thing to a sid chip without having one :)

I disagree. What makes it interesting to me is that it's price:features ratio is low, low, low, and it's hardware so I don't have to deal with crappy vst's. If someone does up a chip that has more power for <= money I'll be very interested.

fair do's ..will sit back and watch out of curiousity :)

mind quadrasid from refx is $59.99 usd / 37 uk pounds or so ...its not steinberg money ;) ..and from my experience its not crappy unstable either.. and you can have as many virtual chips as you wish.. whereas more chips means building more with this hardware ..and both are doing the same thing of running some code, on some hardware.

http://refx.com/?lang=en&page=products/quadraSID/summary

sample sounds:

http://refx.com/downloads/quadraSID/quadraSID.mp3

mind i guess its worthwhile as hardware if its moved upto a serious dsp powerhouse; where the architecture can support tens, to hundreds of sids ...but then you are creeping towards making something that strictly isnt a sid ..and may as well diversify way beyond its limitations ..in which case its no longer a 'sid' at all.

I do realize that emulating the SID will never make it SID.

But thats not why im building it.

1. Building is fun

2. It can emulate SID

3. It's cheap

4. It has more waveforms

5. Building cheap stuff with more waveforms is FUN  ;D

Maybe it's just me/my setup or whatever but quadraSID crashes the hell outta my Cubase on a regular basis. I alsways had problem with patch saving as well, as the VSTi seems to reset at random times.

Same here.

What version of Cubase are you using?

yup buildings always fun..

used it in cubase current version & in ableton live previous version without any issues with it or the hosts.

all runs quite nicely on dual core athlon systems with final revision of win xp 64 bit edition. M audio 2496 & focusrite le & 26 on the other machines concerned.

btw if you have some plugs that present intermittent issues; dump the audio from the track concerned.. insert it into the mix as an audio stream & turn off the plugin until needed again. this way you can get on with the rest of the mix without fighting with the occasional dubious plugin.

btw if you have some plugs that present intermittent issues; dump the audio from the track concerned.. insert it into the mix as an audio stream & turn off the plugin until needed again. this way you can get on with the rest of the mix without fighting with the occasional dubious plugin.

This was my solution to :)

I hate roughin it up with bonehead plugins.

ideally yes; and i often do.. tho usually everything bar afew culprits i rarely use work for me.

and 'flattening' elements of the mix when you arent working on them specifically at that time, provide a great way of freeing up resources to make huge mixes without runing out of cpu steam :)