lcd durability

Hi

A quick question that may make me seem quite foolish.

I am not certain but i think my lcd is an extended type as the backlight works but there is nothing on the screen. The screen is a YJ-162A 16x2. I have used the mios prog and checked the power on the pins and all looks good and i have rechecked my pin config and soldering both seem ok.

The question is having wired up my lcd the wrong way plugging it in and powering it up and then working out that i had mixed up the data and power pins have I broken it or are they reasonably durable and should I invest more time in making a -5V circut or should I just get a new lcd

thanks d

having wired up my lcd the wrong way plugging it in and powering it up and then working out that i had mixed up the data and power pins have I broken it or are they reasonably durable and should I invest more time in making a -5V circut or should I just get a new lcd

Errr... Your post is a bit fuzzy on the details.... So you applied -5V to one of the data pins? Maybe you did fry your LCD....

The question is having wired up my lcd the wrong way plugging it in and powering it up and then working out that i had mixed up the data and power pins have I broken it or are they reasonably durable and should I invest more time in making a -5V circut or should I just get a new lcd

yes, it's very likely that the LCD has been fried because of (temporary) mixed data/power lines

Best Regards, Thorsten.

• 3 weeks later...

Seems kooky but that was my experience FWIW...

Uhm sure does.... this isn't adding up... At least for me. But I'm crazy so maybe you can explain :)

1) DIN pins have nothing to do with the LCD

2) Why are you surprised that a 'fried' LCD didn't test correctly?

3) Why are you surprised that a new LCD works fine?

4) How are, the test results of a fried LCD, and the actual performance of a new LCD, related?

5) How do you know it was fried?