Getting free samples from microchip

Guest Xcen

Hi!

Yay! Just received my Core PCB (thanks again Smash!)

I am going to order some samples to build my first MB.

I am wondering, for MIOS (future project) what chip is needed?

PIC18F452-I/ML; PIC18F452-I/P; PIC18F452-I/PT; PIC18LF452-I/L; PIC18LF452-I/P; PIC18LF452-I/PT

For the MB64: PIC16F877-20? (Not available as free sample?)

And finally, for the BankStick chip: ? (Heard you could get those as well but I'm not sure...)

Anything else I should get?

TIA!

Nice! Thank you :)

Any info on the 16f for the mb64? There is the 16f877A that seems available as a sample, would that do?

Smash: you're right so here is the correction:

Thanks anonymous MBer for the cool gift and thanks Smash for all the rest :)

I don't mean to be annoying but could some1 clear up this question for me? :)

Any info on the 16f for the mb64? There is the 16f877A that seems available as a sample, would that do?

Yes, the PIC16F877A is working, you only have to take care with the JDM programmer. This chip has a special setup, and you need to increase the IO delay to 20 in order to lower the programming voltage.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

ok so I just need to build/configure the JDM module differently?

Will that affect performances in any way?

Thanks! :) this project is getting me very excited but I don't know that much about electronics :)

OK nothing else will change right?

I'm gonna place the order today!

I'm also trying to scavenge a DIP housing from an old motherboard for my pic :) Unsoldering is harder than I thought hehehe

EDIT: ACK! Is it the pf16f877a-I/P or pf16Lf877a-I/P

I'd say the first one but I want to be sure (can't understand the difference between the two)

I should be done asking questions about that after this one :)

Guest Steve_C

why don't you just order the regular pic16f877-20 (20 means 20 mhz, make sure you order a 40 pin version, P and I/P just refer to the temperature range, I/P is for hotter environments I think. Both will work in a midibox) from microchip? Order a pic18f452 while you are at it, for future upgrades. (and a bankstick chip) Even though you will wait for your free sample, you will be building the rest of it while you wait anyway.

Thanks for those additional details, it really helps :)

As for the 16f877-20 it wasnt available as a free sample so that's why I took the other... I could've ordered it but I'm not really good in electronics so I prefer to "practice" on free chips :)

I got some banksticks as well as the 18f too :)

Yeh when I start making synths professionally, you know who's products I WON'T be using!

Bastards... I saw their logo on a champcar race last night... For the price of that Ad they could have shipped enough PIC's to bury me alive!!!

Still that 18F is pretty impressive ;D