Finding SIDs

theblackkeys

There's a great deal of information on the forum about various sources. Scan through the bulk-order forum or SID forum and you should come across a number of options. Essentially, if you're interested in a 6581 then a used chip from an old Commodore64 may be your best bet. If you're in the market for a 6582/8580, then there is a bulk-order developing in the Wiki under Wilba's 6582 SID page.

I don't know about the C64 G. But in the first models of the C64(breadbox) you can find the 6581. In the later models C64C it depends on the manufacturing date. Sometimes a 6581 in the first C64C models but the later models all have the 8580 inside. This is the flat C64 case with airvents on top.

I collected about a dozen old C64's from eBay and from retro video game stores that sell products on the internet. Most of them were non-working, so I got them super-cheap and just pulled the SID chip and keep them around for spare parts. I found a guy who sells old Atari games and consoles who happened to have six broken Commodore's in his back room. He sold them all to me for like $10 US. It never hurts to ask guys like this if they have old C64's or chips laying around that they don't need or want. Also, check out the C64 forums on the internet, they all have FOR-SALE threads. You can always post a request for SID's or old C64's.

You really can't go wrong with Wilba's MEGA-SALE. Unless the Rockefellers are stockpiling SID's in secret, I believe this is the last chance in your lifetime to get new-old-stock (straight from the factory - never used in a Commodore) SID chips for midi-box projects. I just bought ten for future projects.

When you buy old commodores, you're risking getting a non-working SID or partially working SID. But, to me, that's half the fun - scavenging and bringing new life to old equipment.

Just be careful buying individual SID chips on eBay - there has been one guy scamming people by re-labeling old SID's as new, never used. Ask around the C64 forums before you purchase new-old-stock SID's on eBay.