A suitable method of storing SID chips?

unrise_lyrical

So I have a first gen. Commodore 64 in the mail on its way to me to be ripped apart :) I am not going to be using the SID chip for a while (this C64 is only going to be used for its casing for a MB64) but I want to keep the SID chip for a later date when I have a go at making a MBSID. I built a computer mid last year, and have a bucketload of anti-static bags laying around from the soundcard/graphics card/HDDs/ several PCI Cards.... can these be used to store the SID chip?

This may be an incredibly dumb question, but I wasnt sure if you could re-use these bags...or put something into them that has been out in the atmosphere (maybe it already has a slight charge built up or something...i dont know...newbie afterall)

but yea....its not urgent, I was just curious :)

PS. apologies if this is in the wrong place, really couldn't think of where else on the forum to ask.

There's special foam you should use, and the old fashioned way was foam with foil on top to keep all the pins shorted... I think the idea was to ensure nothing jumped through the chip because the foil was always the shortest (least resistive) path to anywhere.

According to Murphy's law someone (you?  ;D) will eventually put something near it that actually will bend the pins. Or it falls down from there. Or something else. Don't take any risks, stick it into that special antistatic foam, if you don't have it go buy it! It's a few cents that are well invested money.

Best regards, ilmenator

PS: stryd was faster again

tandy maybe but only the biggest DSE will have it I'd say (maybe online? you might wanna look for tubes too). Try altronics or jaycar or something...

There are a few of us from Melbourne Sydney Brissy Adelaide... I think that's it... Wilba DrBunsen /Tilted/ myself and a few others live within a 30minute radius within the Melburn suburbs. Where are you again?