Faderbox

Benjamin

Im going to use this thread to document my midibox journey, to get help, and to possibly help others that are new to this.

My project will be called "Faderbox" (a take on Faderfox (which i love) ) ;)

I have no prior electronics experience and no programming skills.  However i am an industrial designer at a rapid prototyping company and have access

to a number of manufacturing processes that will make construction of the control surface a bit nicer.

So far i have spent a lot of time reading and i am beginning to gather what i will need.

I started getting some practice soldering by desoldering a power supply....... EDIT: This was not the best way to learn. Just go get a few pcbs and about 100 resisters and go to town.

2574923721_8a6812a1ba.jpg?v=0

After reading about the hazards of solder fumes, i decided i needed a ventilation system.....

2575750098_90afc26a58.jpg?v=0

my first core kit from smash ...   here is what you get when it arrives....

2574923839_120dd33dd9.jpg?v=0

I think im all set to begin soldering. ;D

• 3 weeks later...

I am refining my setup.

Cutting the length of the vent hose in half greatly increases flow. Looking for a quieter solution but this works for now.

I can cut the dryer off with a switch by my foot to reduce noise.

I have been practicing soldering and gathering more tools.

I think i can solder my core now without ruining it.

2631227848_a6179547ba.jpg

• 1 month later...

Well, you won't die tomorrow from solder fumes today...

but spend several hours sucking them in and you may well have a headache to deal with :(  Build a fume vent if you can.

you might as well vent your bedroom while you're at it... supposedly the amount of CO2 you expel while you sleep can be hazardous as well. ::)