Aurora (open source project)

Sasha

http://www.auroramixer.com

2622267524_2aa7610256.jpg

aurora is a usb powered multichannel mixer in a typical dj form factor.  the device features two linear channel faders, a single a/b crossfader and eight backlit buttons.  twenty four backlit knobs allow you to control effects.  aurora, unlike most midi controllers, enhances performances with controllable ambient lighting.  aurora easily integrates with your favorite midi compatible software.

These knobs looks exactly as soft touch gray knobs from Farnell, but I didn`t know the skirt can be illuminated. Now I`m very interested in it.

Some forum members also used these knobs for their projects.

Can somebody confirm they can be illuminated?

It's not mentioned in the data sheet, think it's an "unknown feature". Got the part number for Mouser from the BOM - 450-4011 and they are made by Eagle Plastic Devices. I'm going to try and find a source that isn't Mouser and look into getting some. These are nice knobs an the illumination is a bit more subtle than the Waldorf knobs.

G

Got the part number for Mouser from the BOM - 450-4011 and they are made by Eagle Plastic Devices. I'm going to try and find a source that isn't Mouser and look into getting some.

I think gray one from Farnell should be having a skirt made out of same material so it could be same for illumination. But, black ones looks better.

These are nice knobs an the illumination is a bit more subtle than the Waldorf knobs.

When I illuminated Waldorf knobs I was so disappointed. Albs should really use some more blurry plastics and they would look nice. I especially dislike a view from the top.

I think gray one from Farnell should be having a skirt made out of same material so it could be same for illumination. But, black ones looks better.

Does the farnell site show the manufacturer? They are available in grey and white from Mouser. I can't find a Uk suplier for Eagle Plastic Devices, hopefully we could pin some on to somebody elses Mouser order.

The BOM uses superbright LEDS so I'm guessing they are just standard knobs tat have just been found to let the light through. A bit of experimentation with other knobs may yield the same results, however, I'm guessing that the guys on the site will have already donw a bt of experimintation to find the best knobs to do this.

These are nice knobs an the illumination is a bit more subtle than the Waldorf knobs.

When I illuminated Waldorf knobs I was so disappointed. Albs should really use some more blurry plastics and they would look nice. I especially dislike a view from the top.

Thats a wonderful find Sasha, I have to say that I have some problems with the panel layout / design, but this could be a wonderful tool.

I'll check how much they would want for this, if the price is right this could be a great substitute to making a mixer on my own or spending a fortune on the korg zero series.

You know what, i bought those Alpha Taiwan Clear Shaft Potentiometers last week and i didn't know wich knobs to use with it. I found it now  ;D

Anyway, i have another knobs in my mind for those pots.

So, what you think of it? Can you post some close-up pictures on flickr? I`m interested how it looks at bottom. If you can do some illumination tests and wright a report it would be great.

Hmm.... This is clearly a nicely done box but... is it just me, or couldn't a midibox do all that too?

I don`t believe it is about making something better than midibox. It would be very, very hard to do such a thing. I think it is about making their own product but ideology must be different from MB. Aurora isn`t so easy to make because of the SMD components, so not very suitable for beginners. But they can offering it assembled so there is the opportunity for profit. It is important is that this device looks pretty attractive and it is open source which automatically makes it cool, and people will start developing their firmware modifications which helps alot to the aurora guys. I think for small company is better to make product open source instead of finished (non open source) product. I would never build one for myself as I know about all MB features, but I`m sure there will be people interested into it. Those Monome guys that are missing some knobs.

I don`t believe it is about making something better than midibox.

I don't believe I said anything about "better than"! I just asked: couldn't a midibox do all that too?

It would be very, very hard to do such a thing.

How so? AIN and max72xx and USB PIC.... Am I missing something?

Stryd, you completely misunderstood me..  ;D

I don't believe I said anything about "better than"! I just asked: couldn't a midibox do all that too?

Sure, but to me it sounded like... why it exist as there are already MB that can do same and much more.

How so? AIN and max72xx and USB PIC.... Am I missing something?

This sentence is related to sentence before it, and in free translation from serbian english to australian english means... It would be very hard to make project that can come close enough to MB.

to me it sounded like...

Impressive! Next time, I won't ask, I'll just let you dream something up for me  ;D ;D

No, I was just asking. If there is any motive behind it, it's that I am not personally interested enough to have read the whole page, so maybe I missed a feature, and I was hoping someone could tell me if it was do-able.

Just a 'yes' or 'no' would do nicely :)

So, what you think of it? Can you post some close-up pictures on flickr? I`m interested how it looks at bottom. If you can do some illumination tests and wright a report it would be great.

I just received the knobs, the grey base is not translucent at all, neither the pointer. The light effect goes true the clear shaft et bounce back under the knobs, this is what we see in the video or on pictures or they photoshop it. I'll take pics later.

Those red knobs on video looks like they have red illuminated base and not just reflection from the panel, but other knobs are not very visible. On picture all looks like candies so I`m afraid they are Photoshopped. Did you try to illuminate base directly with bright LED and not trough the shaft?

Thank you for checking it for us, looking forward to see those pics.

Anyway, I liked those knobs in gray variant, and now I know there are black to so I like it even more. What do you think of them... how are they quality, feel..?

I just tried a white bright led under the knob, i can see the glowing at the knob base. It works. Tomorrow i'll try with a 3mm led inside the shaft. We can adjust the led position inside the shaft.

The knobs are nice, soft touch like Re-an. But only S type shaft available.

I just tried a white bright led under the knob, i can see the glowing at the knob base. It works. Tomorrow i'll try with a 3mm led inside the shaft. We can adjust the led position inside the shaft.

The knobs are nice, soft touch like Re-an. But only S type shaft available.

Were you using ultra-bright LEDs before?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It is not a fracking mixer, stop calling it a mixer. Mixer needs audio input and audio output. It is just a controller.

A controller that needs extra software layer to work. I don't like layers, it makes the whole setup less reliable.

I support dstamand, we CAD and we DID a lot more with MIOS and C firmware.

Thank you.