MIDIbox Linux Distro

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DistributionDefaultsAndBranding

There's a list of the logos to remove. Even if you can do that, system patches/updates/upgrades from ubuntu may cause the mods to become bugs, so then you have to break off and become a completely separate distro,... Kinda time consuming ;)

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DistributionDefaultsAndBranding

There's a list of the logos to remove. Even if you can do that, system patches/updates/upgrades from ubuntu may cause the mods to become bugs, so then you have to break off and become a completely separate distro,... Kinda time consuming ;)

That's a lot of branding! Shame there isn't a distro that wouldn't care about us modifying it for misibox purposes.

That's a lot of branding! Shame there isn't a distro that wouldn't care about us modifying it for misibox purposes.

there is plenty but Ubuntu is just the way to go for hardware compatibility, support, repos etc.

Let s don t get "down" for this little problem, as Stryd pointed out the live CD was a great option but probably not really so fundamental for our purposes: we have  a great distro to work with and great developers support, let s go ahead with what we ve got.

• 3 weeks later...

Just thought I'd mention that OpenCores have built something very similar to this proposed distro, for working on FPGA-based System On Chip (SoC) designs.

OPENCORES: OpenRISC VMWare image

OpenRISC 1000: VMware image

Complete SoC development environment

/ is a "Virtual Ubuntu Linux" installation which installs and configures a VMWare virtual machine. It includes all of the tools necessary to start hardware and software development on a OpenRISC platform.

It comes with an OpenRISC SoC reference design along with the following development tools:

* Icarus Verilog simulator

* GTKWave waveform viewer

* Software tool-chain based on gcc-4.2.2 with uClibc-0.9.29

* Support for Busybox-1.7.5 and Linux-2.6.19

* The OpenRISC architectural simulator

Still live, but like the rest of my life it's on hold until the end of this month... I'm really busy with work. I'm sure cimo and nils will have been playing with it in the meantime too :)

Yeh it's good to see there are parallel projects too. The thing that really makes this different from ubuntu (studio) with a few extras installed, is that it'll have updated versions of the software. Those packages can and will be shared with the internet, so having similar projects means that more people will benefit from our work, and hopefully we'll have team members from these communities helping to keep our repo nice and fresh.

• 3 months later...

maybe it's a bit late to enter this discussion.. but

Anyone recommend a good programmer's text editor?

kate! It comes with kubuntu (KDE 4). Me personally prefer the KDE desktop because of it's rich possibilities to configure (smaller icons etcetcetc.), and the better & more tools.

kate is just perfect for MIDIBox, you can have a console window open inside it, the current dir will automatically switch to the file's dir that you are working on. You just type "make"  ;)

- tabs

- code highlighting

- open/close code trees

I can confirm that ubuntu / kubuntu "just works" out of the box! I installed it on a Toshiba Sattelite laptop. Everything worked without post-installing a single driver!

- USBBildschirmphoto2.png

- Card reader

- Soundcard

- HP Laserjet printer

- Firewire Audio device with jack/freebob

installing additional packages is a peace of cake with the adept package GUI / adept application manager. no need to go to the shell.

4150_kate_jpg6b4ca457f7241c0ba2f2454b761

4150_kate_jpg6b4ca457f7241c0ba2f2454b761

• 3 weeks later...

What features or apps would be a "must have" for you?  Circuit simulation with audio output; speaker design and modelling; simple 3D CAD; support for low-end PCs & legacy hardware

By the way, do you know any good ones ? For Linux of course...

Or even better, Circuit sim. with audio output and PIC emulation

A few weeks ago when I first discovered the DIY-World, witch started at Music From Outer Space site and MBox site, I ran into KTechLab at the PIC's wiki page...  Of course that back then I didn't know the difference between Ubuntu and PhotoShop, so KTechLab wasn't that usefull.

Instead I stole Proteus (...back then it didn't seam wrong, but now it is, I'm a grown up now), and I think it would be the most complete simulator, since it does everything we wished for, and apparently it simulates speakers in real time! wich is cool. Would've been even cooler if I could make it work, but anway, it is for Windows and it is too expensive, so no...

But KTechLab, I'll give it a try... As soon as I'm able to install Fedora 10...

By the way, I'm definitely the test monkey for MBuntu's project. If I can use it, then everyone can...

Thanks.

Ktechlab seems to be frequently recommended, that's a good sign.

A few other hints from 'apt-cache search circuit':

electric - electrical CAD system

gnucap - GNU Circuit Analysis package

gpsim - Simulator for Microchip's PIC microcontrollers

klogic - digital circuit editor and simulator for KDE

ksimus - KDE tool for simulating electrical circuits

ktechlab - circuit simulator for microcontrollers and electronics

oregano - tool for schematical capture of electronic circuits (works with gnucap)

qucs - Quite Universal Circuit Simulator

tkgate - Event driven digital circuit simulator with Tcl/Tk

easyspice - A graphical frontend to the Spice simulator

I diced out various gEDA components, that has circuit sim too it seems...there are others too, this is just the list that's on the ubuntu repositories. Have a search around for linux SPICE (ngspice,etc). Apparently some of the windows ones like LTspice (swcad) work in wine quite well...

Pr0n:

http://ktechlab.org/wiki/index.php?title=Image:Screenshot.png

http://qucs.sourceforge.net/screenshots.html

http://www.tkgate.org/screenshots.html

dbimage.php?id=29147

There's no shortage... it's just a matter of trying them all and finding the best one for typical midibox purposes. That means not only considering the features and usability of each, but also how they might interact with other tools we use (like say xcircuit or kicad).

Good luck!

Nice!

Finally got Fedora 10 working and double booting with XP. Of course that it was just a bit less user friendly than Ubuntu, but still much more then Ubuntu Studio...  Beginners like me will always have trouble on the partitioning step...  Besides the instalation process, both desktops were really intuitive, F10 graphics performance are much better I guess, though... 

Now I'm trying ccrma, but I get an error right at the begining trying to get the packages.

I'm not sure about what makes it better in making MB's own distro instead of just making something like ccrma, I guess it is something like building your own house instead of renting one.

Hi

usually i hold 1 or even 2 Fedora releases back when installing CCRMA, right now i run happily FC8 and will move sometime to 9.

I agree that Fedora+CCRMA is better performing than Ubuntu Studio, you can try also XFCE to free the CPU from the extra GUI work.

Simone

I see what you mean. I'll probably try an older release now, F10 crashed twice while configuring Pure Data's audio settings, something about OSS and ALSA...  I'm starting to think that having a huge selection of programs and drivers like in ccrma is actually very confusing, at least for beginners.

Yeh I have to admit, for a distro claiming to be for "studio" use, there are a lot of performance tweaks which should (IMO) be applied, which are not. For example, when I install UbuStu on my new PC, it detects my nice 3D card and turns on all the flashy compiz effects. That shit should not even be installed on a DAW. I think that Ubustu is really more of a collection of studio related apps on top of a normal distro, than a real studio distro.

Still, even out-of-the-box, it needs less tweaking than windows for the same purpose ;)

I've just done a complete compile/assemble/link/burn/upload/run cycle.

Piklab is lovely (not only for) for burning and works nicely with a smashtv JDM. This HTPC was the last machine I would have guessed to have a decent serial port. Gotta love asus.

Someone with a new style mbhp-burner will need to test it, but the parallel port and a few tait (upon which the mbhp-burner is modelled) variations are natively supported. I'm sure it'll work.

Likewise the PICKit and PICkit2 are supported among a bunch of others.

sdcc is still sdcc, gputils is still gputils, MIOS Studio is still MIOS Studio.

12am and all's well!