Lemme build one too :)

Flemming

I want to build a midibox sid, and i have 2 sid chips. I'm very inexperienced with electronics, so i will be happy to just build the minimal version (1 core, 1 sid + minimal CS.... if i dare)

So, to build a midibox-sid with one 8580 i need 1 sid-module kit v2 with 78L09, and 1 core module kit v3 with pre-burned PIC18F4685... right???

My problem is, where do i get these 2 kits.. i wrote SmashTV but never got an answer, and since i live in Denmark i found out that Doc would be closer, but he hasn't answered yet... man, i hope to get started soon, because i just love the sid sound!!

Anyway, one of my sid chips is from a faulty 'breadbox' and i'm afraid the sid has taken damage.. is there any way i can check the chip using a multimeter or something??

I really would like the psu part to be built-in, so i just have to stick the synth in the wall outlet. How do you guys manage that ??

I figured that i eventually would solder the mem chips inside the box. Will this cause any problems, maybe about how the patches are handled by the software in the chips??

....I love this stuff :) and i really envy you for building your sid-boxes - it's the sound of my youth, and i want it back now!!!

Flemming

You can find smash's shop at www.avishowtech.com/mbhp

Concerning your design considerations, some answers:

I want to build a midibox sid, and i have 2 sid chips. I'm very inexperienced with electronics, so i will be happy to just build the minimal version (1 core, 1 sid + minimal CS.... if i dare)

Well, that's a start... you can always expand later.

Anyway, one of my sid chips is from a faulty 'breadbox' and i'm afraid the sid has taken damage.. is there any way i can check the chip using a multimeter or something??

You can't check them with a multimeter unless they're really fried, but you can test them with the test apps from the MIOS download page.

I really would like the psu part to be built-in, so i just have to stick the synth in the wall outlet. How do you guys manage that ??

Well, there are so many solutions for that you could write entire books about that.

Since you're new to electronics, see if you can get ahold of a switching PSU issuing about 12V with enough current (1.5A should be more than enough). Those are available as ready-made modules you can build into your chassis, and usually sport a PC-like power jack.

Using something different than a switching PSU is possible, but with your level of experience I'd go for a ready-made PSU.

I figured that i eventually would solder the mem chips inside the box. Will this cause any problems, maybe about how the patches are handled by the software in the chips??

You mean the I2C EEPROMs aka. BankSticks, I suppose...

you can put them easily inside the device, no problem there. Just make sure you assign correct I2C bus adresses to them and wire them up correctly, and you're done.

I love this stuff Smiley and i really envy you for building your sid-boxes - it's the sound of my youth, and i want it back now!!!

Welcome to the club, man :) Sooner or later you'll discover that the other projects make some sense, too, and before you know you're another midibox addict :)

Well, there are so many solutions for that you could write entire books about that.

Since you're new to electronics, see if you can get ahold of a switching PSU issuing about 12V with enough current (1.5A should be more than enough). Those are available as ready-made modules you can build into your chassis, and usually sport a PC-like power jack.

Using something different than a switching PSU is possible, but with your level of experience I'd go for a ready-made PSU.

werent switching PSUs banned from audio projects?

... you can always expand later.

Yes, with time i really hope to own a full 8-sid model, but i have to learn a lot while building - the concept of building it in small steps suits me just fine :)

but with your level of experience I'd go for a ready-made PSU.

Good then, so i will find one in a local store

Thanks, i will go on in my venture - will be back if i achieve anything

Ye ole optimized PSU. Note on the pdf, which version you intend on constructing.  ;)

http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/midibox_sid

http://www.danielprice.org.uk/synth-diy/sid_2.htm

This would absolutely be the most lovely solution, but unfortunately i don't have a C64 PSU .. I was in the local electronics shop, and the clerk convinced me to not build one myself, but to buy a factory-made PSU and stick inside the box. He might be right ..  ;)

So, a 12v switching PSU with a 1.5A current will be enough to run 4 cores, 8 sids, control surface and display ??

Will do perfectly.

If you encounter noise, you can always increase filtering by putting in bigger electrolytic capacitors

on the core modules (the 2200 uF ones).

Since they are already quite big "out of the box", it's very unlikely you'll have noise problems anyway.

So now i look for a display.. found this one - would it be fine for mbsid use ??

http://eekit.dk/product.asp?product=484

ikke so godt

go here:

http://ucapps.de/mbhp_lcd.html

and look for the available lcd drivers.

Probably eBay is a cheap way to get one, if you live in Copenhagen you may drop by at brink, just 200 meters north of Norreport

Simone

if you live in Copenhagen you may drop by at brink, just 200 meters north of Norreport

Simone

Whoa :) You know Brinck in Copenhagen ... well, i checked their site, and it seems pretty thin - it may help to visit the shop i guess, if their homepage is outdated or something...

Aaaargh, this diy-stuff is sooo hard!! I read and read every day, but still my biggest problem is to get hold of parts - i mailed SmashTV 3 times, 2 from his contact-form on his site, and once inhere.. but i got no reply... i even placed an order for around 60$ in his shop, but still no reply of any kind, not even an order confirmation.. oh, well paypal confirmed for me that the transfer was cool... so i imagine someone sitting somewhere with my 60 bucks in their pocket, laughing at me

I didn't imagine that the hardest part of building a mbsid would be to get hold of parts..

hi Flemming

i would really really reconsider your words in your last post.

SmashTV is among the most serious guys you can meet on the web especially when it s up to midibox stuff.

He selling out stuff at a ridicolous price, and working hard for the community all the time.

No he probably won t answer at your mails cause he s probably too busy packing up stuff or with his OWN life cause he s got one.

No he s not laughing at you i bet my ass about that.

And yes sourcing part can be hell, but hey if you don t like it go Aage..

Flemming really it s not a good idea to step into somebody s house and talk shit about the furniture

Simone

hi Flemming

i would really really reconsider your words in your last post.

SmashTV is among the most serious guys you can meet on the web especially when it s up to midibox stuff.

He selling out stuff at a ridicolous price, and working hard for the community all the time.

No he probably won t answer at your mails cause he s probably too busy packing up stuff or with his OWN life cause he s got one.

No he s not laughing at you i bet my ass about that.

And yes sourcing part can be hell, but hey if you don t like it go Aage..

Flemming really it s not a good idea to step into somebody s house and talk shit about the furniture

Simone

Just to add to that, SmashTV isn't just some guy who sells PCB's/Kits for the community, he is part of the community and is trustworthy, just very busy putting these kits together as a service for the community.

I really do understand and respect peoples privatelives and dedication to the community... i'm very sorry if i came on too harsh, but even a little 'will catch you later' or something would have convinced me that there at least was some kind of life in the other end :) or a server-generated order-confirmation or something..

The reason i contacted Smash in the first place was because i read in this forum how satisfied you all were, and i found his posts very friendly and helpfull. So i guess i took his time for granted, very stupid of me.. and ofcourse he has a privatelife, and ofcourse i respect his dedication to the work done here.

Now, i will stop whining and sit tight to wait for an order confirmation :)

Smash has never missed an order of mine. It can take a few days sometimes, but trust me, this part of the build is the fast one. I got my first pcb:s from Mike a year ago, experimented, ordered from Smash... Experimented. Soon though, I will be satisfied with my SID.  Use this spare time to read the wiki, you´ll need it;).

I really do understand and respect peoples privatelives and dedication to the community... i'm very sorry if i came on too harsh, but even a little 'will catch you later' or something would have convinced me that there at least was some kind of life in the other end :) or a server-generated order-confirmation or something..

The reason i contacted Smash in the first place was because i read in this forum how satisfied you all were, and i found his posts very friendly and helpfull. So i guess i took his time for granted, very stupid of me.. and ofcourse he has a privatelife, and ofcourse i respect his dedication to the work done here.

Now, i will stop whining and sit tight to wait for an order confirmation :)

Might as well point this out just to help you understand better.  :)

The reason smash is busier than ever these days is because of the HUGE! amount of interest generated by:

The MB-6582 project.

Recently the pcbs became available in his shop, and all along he has being making up Base Parts Kits for people that were on a very long

waiting list for that project.

And to show just how many components go into only 1 parts kit, scroll down the page quickly here

Imagine having to count all those parts, and pack them for 100s of people!

Even before this he has been really busy, but this makes him busy busy busy!

The MB-6582 project.

Ooooh, i thought i was far too late to get into this deal - although i already ordered a PT-10 from the danish RS site, and i also am on Wilba's list for 8 left-over 6582 lucky shots :) and i'm listed for some GM5 kits aswell hoping to incoorporate USB into my build. But on Smash's site i only see the two 6582 PCBs.. no kits? Where do i sign up for a complete MB-6582 kit including the full component-list and PCBs ???

Also can't find a list of changes between MB-6582 and MB-6582 v2... or is the v2 update due to the update of the sid module ??

But on Smash's site i only see the two 6582 PCBs.. no kits? Where do i sign up for a complete MB-6582 kit including the full component-list and PCBs ???

Also can't find a list of changes between MB-6582 and MB-6582 v2... or is the v2 update due to the update of the sid module ??

The parts kits will be available sometime in the future, so youll have to wait until then. The list filled a few months back so you cant sign up anymore.

Its all explained here

As for the differences, i dont know the exact differences,

but i think wilba just made a few improvements to his design, moving things around a bit and such...

If you read in the wiki, wilba suggested that you should build a normal MB-SID first before you build the mb-6852.

So you get some practice and experience before you go building the big boy.

This is what im doing, building a Step A control surface (minimal design) MB-Sid.

Basically 1 x Core 1 X Sid Module 1 x DINx2

This is what im doing, building a Step A control surface (minimal design) MB-Sid.

Well me too :) i thought it would be a great way to start, and hopefully learn the trade of the mb-community. But as i am starting to get a feel for the loong waiting periods (waiting for parcels, waiting for PCBs and kits to be ready and such) i thought i might as well could start to collect the parts - but no hurry at all :) i will use plenty of time with the few parts i already have ordered - and if sound is even produced, i will have great fun with it until i am in the line for a MB-6582 project :)