Custom MB-6582 - Work in Progress

Futureman

Here, the screen is in position, but not properly mounted (held on with Gaffer tape) & Encoders & knobs mounted except for the volume knob.

I've now got to find a nice stereo pot for the volume control for the mix out... I'm guessing a Stereo 10k Audio taper?

I've also got some nice LA audio modules that I grabbed before they were thrown in the bin at work, including some line driver amps with some awesome audio transformers in em & a Stereo EQ modules.. these are small PCB's with very high quality components on them.

I was toying with the idea of using these to push up the volume of the Mix out + possible some simple EQ (It's a Stereo shelving EQ with a High & Low cut & boost)

The next big bridge I have to cross is making my own power supply... I see someone else has a similar thread, so I might mooch off that... but the concept of the C64's power supply is not too tricky.... just hope it fits / doesn't generate too much heat / doesn't generate noise.

Sorry for the blurry photo, my camera is not that crash hot.

Regards

Mike

2 - LCD screen in place.JPG

2 - LCD screen in place.JPG

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to my local electronics shop today (Jaycar for the Aussies) and was looking at meaty power transformers.. I decided I'd try out a pre-built switchmode one.. if it doesn't work or puts too much noise in the system i can return it..

I'm not sure if people here have tried a switchmode PS, but it will emit waaaay less heat & is rather small for something that can deliver 5Amps on its 5v rail, and 3Amps on its 12v rail... + it's nice and pre-built..

The obvious cons are it's expensive & they emit a lot of EMF... I'll see how bad it'll be...

My plan is to regulate the 12v down to 9v for the SID's..

Regards

Mike

Switchmode works brilliantly!

I did not notice any extra noise etc when A-B ing the C64 power supply & The switchmode..

I've fed the 12v DC from the switmode into J25 (the one labeled 9~11 vdc), so after that it gets regulated to 9v DC..

It's a nice and small PS which does not emit any noticeable heat..

Speaking of heat, I've got to get some heatsinks for the SID chips.. they sure do run nice and warm!

Regards

Mike

Another thing I've noticed today is the substantial drop of background noise when the audio inputs are tied to ground... A MASSIVE drop in noise.. I read TK mention this and I thought it would be a tad of a drop, but it's like the noise practically vanishes.

I'll make sure the input sockets are connected to ground when nothing is connected. (I believe normalised is the correct word)

I took apart the synth and primed & painted it yesterday & today with a Spray Epoxy in beige colour.. It looks good right now as the third (and probably final) coat is drying.

It's quite funny playing with it, it's almost too huge sounding.. my advice for someone building a Sid synth is 2 Sid chips is plenty.. lol..

I've got some big sounding keyboards & it'll be interesting have a "who's the fattest" comp, and I know the SID's gonna give a few a run for their money.

Regards

Mike

It's quite funny playing with it, it's almost too huge sounding.. my advice for someone building a Sid synth is 2 Sid chips is plenty.. lol..

I've got some big sounding keyboards & it'll be interesting have a "who's the fattest" comp, and I know the SID's gonna give a few a run for their money.

Good to hear! :)

(I have an order for 3 chips from Wilba, 2 for a stereo pair and one for Murphy and/or having a spare part.)

NO!!!!! Don't believe him people! ;) (sorry, I'm just on a mission to sell 6582s as fast as possible to the MIDIbox community, before they get snatched up by other SID hardware makers)

Maybe you should try super poly mode on four Lead engines with "Deep Bass 9" patch. That's so fat it will make your amp explode.

NO!!!!! Don't believe him people! ;) (sorry, I'm just on a mission to sell 6582s as fast as possible to the MIDIbox community, before they get snatched up by other SID hardware makers)

Don't worry Wilba, if I can spare the cash I'll be getting a bunch more in sale #9 when/if that happens... :D

Futureman: more pics! :)

I have an order for 3 chips from Wilba, 2 for a stereo pair and one for Murphy and/or having a spare part.

But with 2 SID's you don't get Super Poly Mode....

My current fave trick is to set up all 4 voices with different sounds, and set up a sequencer (or play it).. the way it rotates through the different voices a-la Korg Mono-poly is pretty damn cool..

regards

Mike

So I cleaned & primed & painted the chasis.. yep, it's a darkish beige.. I can see how some people (a few mates) don't really dig the colour, but they can suck on a lemon.. with the knobs on and some timber, it'll look straight out of the 60's..

As for text on the face, I've got a few cheap ideas... I've got some clear tape for my label maker coming to me.. yep, thats pretty budget..  (Maybe seal it with clear epoxy spray)

A friend has heaps of electraset (speelling?) letters, and I might be able to do some on the face and then seal it in with some clear epoxy spray..

I'm quite happy with the quality of the spray job I did... that was about 4 coats over about 3 days.

Another small update in the LA audio EQ's & Line driver amps is that they do need +/-15vDC to run, so I might add an extra small power supply to power em. I don't like the idea of an extra power supply, but it's probably the only practical way I can give them +/-15dc.

Another option is to leave them out all together, but the mixed output of the MB-6582 is so quiet that it's begging for some quality amplification, and these modules will do the trick nicely, and they would have cost an arm and a leg when new.

Also, the fixed up super poly mode is bitchin! TK you are a genius!

Regards

Mike

4 - It's painted beige..JPG

4 - It's painted beige..JPG

Cheers, Glad others like the beige..

I wired up all the external jack sockets today... 4 Stereo pair outs, The Left/mono & right out , The 4 Stereo external inputs , Sustain pedal socket.

I checked all the external inputs, and wow! I was initially a bit sceptical about how useful and effective they would be to processing external signals (In my case, I often run samples through filters).

It's real cool to tap out a sequence of filter triggering on the keyboard, sequence it, and use it to modify a sound in real time.. the high pass really rocks.. it reminds me of a EDP Wasps filter... or kind of like a Yamaha CS-5's.

Regards

Mike

More pics & updates..

It's mostly assembled except for the timber work.. (I'm waiting for my Dad to be over here in australia before I start that)

It's all running sweet.. no problems so far.. all very happy.

Regards

Mike

5 - Nearly assembled.JPG

5- From behind.JPG

5- From behind 2.JPG

5 - Nearly assembled.JPG

5- From behind.JPG

5- From behind 2.JPG

Very nice.

Just out of interest, what's the plan for filling-in the gaps around the keyboard? Are you using wood for that, as well as for the end-cheeks?

It just occurred to me that it would be cool to use big rubber blocks at either side, a bit like the Oscar synth case. Not sure how you'd make those though...

oscar1.jpg

a|x

Just out of interest, what's the plan for filling-in the gaps around the keyboard? Are you using wood for that, as well as for the end-cheeks?

Yep, I'm using some wood in between the keys and under the keys, and also the end cheeks... Like the Moog source..

Regards

Mike

4413_source_jpgebde87b551b3a32a8cb9cf4ec

4413_source_jpgebde87b551b3a32a8cb9cf4ec

Sweet!

80's as can be.... it needs (fake) leather somewhere!

hehe... I was thinking about vinyl / fake leather... but I might have to give it a miss...

I will however, try and get a cadillac style writing name on the front of back of it.. it's probably gonna be called "El Presidente" in nice flowing silver writing.. well thats the plan anyway. I've got some old car badges that have got the sort of vibe I'm looking for.

Regards

Mike

Nothing huge, but check out the two different styles of text.

The larger letters were done with "letraset" which is now hard to find / no longer made.. and took ages getting each letter right..

After I did the 'Letraset' text (For all the knobs) I then covered it with about 5 layers of clear acrylic spray.

The other words (Smaller ones) came from my trusty lable maker using clear plastic tape.. you can see the edges of the stickers while close up, but from normal distance, it actually looks real good..

I guess it's a cheap option for the DIYer who does not want to pay big dollars for text on their project (Well, it would not work for a dark coloured case)

Regards

Mike

5- Closeup of labeling.JPG

5- Closeup of labeling.JPG