Pre-made boards available now!

smashtv

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Smash!!!!

Thanks for the boards, they are very nice!!!!

I also have to say that they shipped really fast!!

I am still in the soldering stage, and I only ran into a couple problems, although they are not really problems at all.

I got a little confused about the 15 bridges that Thorsten's layout had, I noticed these were reduced to 14, and I believe that C4, polarity was not on the board, but it was easy to trace to the the negative side to the middle pin of 7805. I hope this information can help others who are having any problems. Besides that the boards were so self explanatory that anyone could put  them together.

Well I have to say that the boards are awesome!!!!

Great job Smash, the parts list really came in handy too, you saved me alot of time. With the time I saved, I was able to get into the programming a little more with Thorsten before my project was due ;)

Long Live DIY!!!!

Thanks Smash!

-Sephult

Hello Smash!!!!

Thanks for the boards, they are very nice!!!!

I also have to say that they shipped really fast!!

Thanks for the kind words!  :D

I am still in the soldering stage, and I only ran into a couple problems, although they are not really problems at all.

I got a little confused about the 15 bridges that Thorsten's layout had, I noticed these were reduced to 14,

Yes, some jumpers were eliminated compared to the original layouts.

and I believe that C4, polarity was not on the board, but it was easy to trace to the the negative side to the middle pin of 7805.

Sorry about that, the plus signs on some of the capacitor legends are way too small.  I hope to fix this in future revisions of the layout(s).  It all goes back to the quality of the parts libraries for Eagle.....

I hope this information can help others who are having any problems. Besides that the boards were so self explanatory that anyone could put  them together.

Well I have to say that the boards are awesome!!!!

Great job Smash, the parts list really came in handy too, you saved me alot of time. With the time I saved, I was able to get into the programming a little more with Thorsten before my project was due ;)

Long Live DIY!!!!

Thanks Smash!

-Sephult

Cool Thank You!

Smash

Nat,

I find Digi-Key prices to be fairly reasonable, and I'm in Canada.  I find Electro Sonic's selection to be somewhat lacking and their web site (www.e-sonic.com) is crap.  Digi-Key's site is so easy to search too. (www.digikey.ca)

I'm in the Toronto area.  What other places would you suggest?

I do agree with the Iain though - Mouser is cool, but they're not terribly "Canada-friendly".  If you order from Mouser you will have to pay a big brokerage bill, and their prices are all in US $.

Ah yes, thanks -- I actually have an Abra catalogue and I keep forgetting about them!  They have a decent selection of basic stuff for good prices, but I couldn't find any PIC18F452's in their catalogue.

Still, they are just big enough to have (almost) everything you could need (their selection of stuff like switches and pots is somewhat lacking).  And they will put together kits!  These people might be a great choice for a Canadian vendor to maintain parts lists, like Mouser does.

Hi!

I live in Germany, so I ordered my PCBs from Mike - but after all the positive feedback I couldn't resist to check out your PCBs - and as far as I can tell from the picture they're great!

Thanks for all the effort you put in there!  :)

Hello Smash!!!

Well I almost have the lot working, I initially forgot the two bridges on the LTC, had a little 7805 (mild) heatup problem, and I am finding some things that might help out others.

J6 is actually J1 on Thorsten's listings (fairly obvious) :)

J6 is wired in reverse so take account

instead of vs-mi-mo-vd

it is vd-mo-mi-vs

Thought I could share some future troubleshooting :)

Awesome work Smash

I will definitely be ordering a lot from you soon.

-Sephult

Hello Smash!!!

Well I almost have the lot working, I initially forgot the two bridges on the LTC, had a little 7805 (mild) heatup problem, and I am finding some things that might help out others.

J6 is actually J1 on Thorsten's listings (fairly obvious) :)

J6 is wired in reverse so take account

instead of vs-mi-mo-vd

it is vd-mo-mi-vs

Thought I could share some future troubleshooting :)

Awesome work Smash

I will definitely be ordering a lot from you soon.

-Sephult

Thanks Sephult!

I'm still slowly weeding out all of the differences in part designations between the two layouts.  Most of these come from Eagle automatically naming things, and me not catching it.

So if you see any differences, email or message me here to let me know.

The 3D renderings on my site are generated in Eagle, and accurately reflect the files that the boards are made from, including silkscreen, so the differences are there also.  As I make changes in the layouts I'll include a revision history so the boards that are already out there won't be that much harder to troubleshoot.  :)

Have fun!

SmashTV

Boy when I asked for an error I got it!

If you are building the US MF layout check this:

http://www.midibox.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=troubleshooting;action=display;num=1060118707

I don't know how that one slipped, except that some of the proto/beta boards did not have legends.  

I would say have fun, but I'm sure some want to kill me now, and that might make it worse, so I'll just say later....   :)

SmashTV

• 3 weeks later...

Um, I just noticed a little problem of my own, I made core, sid and jdm PCBs based on the old layouts. However, I was just about to order parts from Mouser using your lists. Is there anything that will totally not fit?? Or should I be able to manage with the US components on the Euro-layout boards?

Think I've got some toner in the laser printer and some etchant left, in case I do have to remake the boards, but I'd rather avoid it if possible...

Um, I just noticed a little problem of my own, I made core, sid and jdm PCBs based on the old layouts. However, I was just about to order parts from Mouser using your lists. Is there anything that will totally not fit?? Or should I be able to manage with the US components on the Euro-layout boards?

Heya Da5id!

You should be alright, you might have to bend some capacitor leads a bit but everything should fit without much effort.  The warning about part fit on my site is mainly for the benefit of those new to electronics, who might feel a little unsure about bending things.   ;)

Have fun!

SmashTV