Wanted (UK) C64 Datacorder

Goblinz

I fried my power supply! Does anybody in the Uk have a spare one that they would be willing to sell me. I thought I'd ask here before getting one from ebay.

Also.... I took my c64 to pieces when I was a kid because I thought it was broken... Found out a few weeks ago that it was the PSU that was broken ... Doh!  I have a lot of games and would like to get playing them again. Does anybody have a working "new" style C64 and data-cassette thingy that they'd be willing to part with? I don't need to SID chip as I still have the 8580 from my old one.

Thanks,

Eddie

I may be able to help you on both front, I think. I bought a load of C64s when I was collecting SID chips, and got various other peripheral bits and bobs with some of them. I will have a look.

Where in the UK are you?

a|x

Thanks for this, I have 80 odd games sat in the cupboard which I want to get going again  :D  is this strange behaviour... wanting to use an old C64 for playing games on?

I'm based in Harrogate, Yorkshire.

Sorry for not getting back to you earlier.

It's bad news, I'm afraid: I've had a look around, and it looks like I must have thrown a lot of my old C64 bits out. I found 2 C64 PSUs, but I'm building one of Wilba's MB-6582s, and I've read that some C64 PSUs have trouble providing enough power, so I want to keep both around, just in case one doesn't quite cut it when I fully-load it with 8 SIDS and 4 cores.

The problem is, I did a load of MIDIBox SID-related stuff a couple of years ago, but eventually ran out of impetus. In our small flat, it became hard to justify keeping all this stuff around, so I must have eventually chucked a load of bits and bobs (though I don't actually recall doing it). It's only seeing Wilba's excellent (and well-documented) 8-SID design that prompted me to take up the soldering-iron again.

I really should have checked before I replied to your post. If I do come across another spare PSU, I'll get back to you again.

Apologies again.

a|x

• 4 weeks later...

I can help you out with a mainboard and a keyboard (without the case), if you want.

Thanks for the kind offer but  there should be a C64 and PSUs on it's way to me now, courtesy of Sparx.

The only bit that I am now short of is the datacorder. Does anybody have one spare? Will the C16/Vic 20 one work with a C64?

I've got this one, over here in Bolton. Shall post it over with your JB Weld? I've never used it, so you can give me a small donation if it works, if not you have a paperweight.

Note - I also have a (non commodore) 64 compatible floppy disc drive that needs an interface cable, and a big box of cassette and disc games etc, so it might be worth a visit.

4628_commodore-drive_jpg4d725da87330d07a

4628_commodore-drive_jpg4d725da87330d07a

I've got this one, over here in Bolton. Shall post it over with your JB Weld? I've never used it, so you can give me a small donation if it works, if not you have a paperweight.

Note - I also have a (non commodore) 64 compatible floppy disc drive that needs an interface cable, and a big box of cassette and disc games etc, so it might be worth a visit.

Hi Prof, yes, please send it with the JB.

Would love to have a rummage through the games at some point, we'll have to arrange to meet up for  apint at some point.

Bwaa get the bleach... bahhhh!!!!!!

Nah... for things like that you need "Retr0bright" - http://retr0bright.wikispaces.com/

after_eight_hours.jpg

Bit og googling will find you some references. Basically it's making sure that the tape heads are perpendicular to the recorded data, to get the best high frequency response. There were fanct tape based programs that helped you optimise your C64 datacorder for best results. There is a cool trick \i've seen involving recording to a PC soundcard, and recodomg the results to allow you to stotr your prigrams on your hard disc. Never did any looking for this though - I only use tape as a last resort with old machine. When I recorded data from industrial PLC's, I always used my 'Walkman Pro', and decent tape.

If anybody has a box of the old TDK SA or the Sony Chromes/Metals with the ceramic guides, I'd be willing to pay or swap things for them!

Hoope it works for you.

Mike