MBSID v2 - Noob Building

LoFi Ninja

Hello.. First post. Been lurking for some time, deciding if I have the money to build MBSID v2.. I don't, but I'm going for it anyway  :)

So I want to use wilbas design (WHO DOSEN'T !!!)

I'm buying the MB-6582 Baseboard Parts Kit + PIC's from SmashTV..

I need AIn, AOut, DIn, DOut and MIDI offcause.. Is all this on the board ?

What about those rotary encoders.. Why should I get them without a switch.. Why should I get them with a switch ? What is the difference when using the MBSID ?

Do I need anything else ?

Thank you !

Hi, welcome!

So I want to use wilbas design (WHO DOSEN'T !!!)

Who doesn't?  People who want to use custom enclosures, people who want to tinker, people who already have the spare boards, people who want to make their own boards at home...

I'm buying the MB-6582 Baseboard Parts Kit + PIC's from SmashTV..

I need AIn, AOut, DIn, DOut and MIDI offcause.. Is all this on the board ?

It's all on the board.

What about those rotary encoders.. Why should I get them without a switch.. Why should I get them with a switch ? What is the difference when using the MBSID ?

Rotary encoders send a signal to the CORE, via a DIN, every time the encoder is rotated left or right, telling the firmware to increment or decrement a value.

A rotary encoder "with switch" can also be pressed.  Many car stereo tuning or volume controls are like this (turn left or right to change the station, and press to see the time).  The MIDIbox SID firmware does not make use of encoders with built-in switches.  So you could get them if you want, but the added swtich would add no extra function, and the additional pins for the switch might get in the way.

Of course, being an open-source platform, you would be free to revise the firmware to add functionality to the switches - but then, you might want the modules as individual boards, because you'd need to add extra DINs to read the switches.

Do I need anything else ?

Time.  Lots of it.

Beer helps too.

Welcome aboard LoFi Ninja ;)

It's all on the board.

Erm, no. There's neither AIN* nor AOUT "modules" on that PCB. You don't need those anyways so it's all good.

Do I need anything else?

Patience and your reading glasses, that's about all you need.

*There's J5 which can be used as AIN of course, but no real AIN modules.

Thanks for the replys..

Erm, no. There's neither AIN* nor AOUT "modules" on that PCB. You don't need those anyways so it's all good.

Actually I do.. I want this guy to play with modular synths and other funky doo-dads..  :D Well then I guess I can't use the wilba case design then.. Judging from the size I'm going to have a hard time fitting the extra modules in there.. Then I'll go for the C64 case I think.. Looks pretty damn sweet aswell..

Is the AIN and AOUT modules supported by the MB-6582 Baseboard ? Is there connectors on there, for this purpose or am I going to have to "mod" it... ?

Theres permanently 8 "banksticks" wired on the board yes ? This is what the LPT port is for right ?

Is the AIN and AOUT modules supported by the MB-6582 Baseboard ? Is there connectors on there, for this purpose or am I going to have to "mod" it... ?

the MB6582 doesn't contain AIN or AOUT modules AFAIK so you'd have to add them as modules. i don't think there's room for these in a Wilba PT10 case but you could go for an own solution.

for the connectors you'd best look at the dokuwiki and and compare with www.uCApps.de MBHP to learn how AOUT and AIN regularly are connected. i don't know either.

I guess you could use the "general purpose connector" that is included in Wilbas design to connect

a self made breakout box containing the AIN's and AOUT's:

481496473_e495a4b824.jpg?v=0

You would have to wire the connector pins to the required pins on the PCB

But get confirmation from the pros here first I am not familiar with this box.

This would absolutely be possible.

AFAIK  the existing MB-SID firmware provides no functionality for CV inputs, but it can output lots of stuff via AOUT.  You can route audio through the SID inputs with no additional hardware.

The MB-6582 puts the entire "standard" MIDIbox SID components on one board, yet the Cores still have full connectivity for other MBHP modules.  AOUT / AOUT_NG could connect to the MB-6582 core using a 5-conductor ribbon, and although I haven't tried it myself, I believe this would work through the DB25 accessory connector on the MB-6582 rear panel. 

MB-6582 is less practical if you want deviate from Wilba's panel, as it would involve modifying the MB-6582 matrix code and/or adding additional DINs/DOUTs... in which case you probably would be as well off to go with the traditional, discrete module-based "spaghetti" approach.