Blixman's MB-6582 nearly finished

Blixman

Nice  :D

It's a shame you did not resize the images properly (I always recommend 600 or 640 pixels in width)! JPEG compression artefacts are clearly visible at this image size / file size ratio, and I have either a supersized image far too large on my monitor, so that I have to scroll around to make sense of it, or I have the preview  :P.

^^ if your browser supports it, right-click on the huge image and select "open image in a new window" or "view image" or whatever.  it will scale to fit the size of the new window, and you don't need to copy it to your hd.

It looks HAWT in white.

I've always thought it would look cool in black silkscreen on a bare aluminum panel, maybe even with the "bone" coloured PT-10.

Indeed it looks awesome (and I appreciate the larger JPEGs personally). Looks really awesome in those colors too. Been thinking about what color scheme to use on mine, among other things, and this configuration was on my list. Good to know it really works out well (although I think I'm going for a blue panel with green or amber LEDs myself).

^^ if your browser supports it, right-click on the huge image and select "open image in a new window" or "view image" or whatever.  it will scale to fit the size of the new window, and you don't need to copy it to your hd.

The point was that I don't want to mess around with the image. Of course I can do all this, but I want to have the image displayed properly within the posting, without the page layout being totally destroyed. And without me having to do too many things (and yes, I consider scrolling around being too much for a quick look to keep track of forum postings).

... (and I appreciate the larger JPEGs personally).

If you look closely you see compression artefacts - this basically means that the large size of the image here does not give you any more information than say a 640 pixel wide image enlarged to the given resolution!

*shrug* You can't please everyone. If you're lazy, look at the thumbnails then. I much prefer the larger images and, in fact, I save them to my desktop so I can open them in a viewer. Slightly annoying perhaps but I get to see a really nice, high quality picture. For someone who has rather poor vision, I am quite grateful of large images.

But you're not! It's not higher quality than a lower resolution image at the same file size...

Oh I think I see what you mean. You're pointing out that it's 3072x2304 and at the native resolution, it looks ugly.Yeah that's a little big, although I think the graininess if the poor JPEG compression. Either way, I think 640x480 is too small, but something around 1024x768 is tolerable. Really, I don't even mind huge pictures if they are reasonably sharp, although, I agree with you now - at full resolution this image is too grainy to be useful to look at.

Even so, still a really nice panel and overall design :)

Great job, Blixman!!! Congratulations! White panels look really cool. It looks like a FPE/Schaeffer panel, but how did you get it in white?

btw I think a red/black LCD would look perfect with this...

http://character-lcd-lcds.shopeio.com/inventory/details.asp?id=1287&cat=Lcds&sub=Character%20Lcd

or... I just remembered... I could send you something like this for free... I just got a box of them with amber backlight, but it is easy to swap the amber LED for white.

phpThumb.php?id=1018&w=200

http://www.crystalfontz.com/product/CFAH2004A-TFH-JT

(to be honest, the text looks more like this one: http://www.crystalfontz.com/product/CFAH1602L-TGH-JT)

Hi,

sorry for the big pictures w/ poor quality. First post with attachments, so the next time the pics will be a little smaler. :) Or maybe next time i would post even bigger pictures.... ;)

The panel isn't from Schaeffer, it's done on an engraving milling machine. I'm not sure to change the

knobs from red/black to white/black, i'm still searching....

BTW i've got some spare red/black knobs here. If there is someone out there who needs some for his MBSID or something else...maybe close by my home?

The display also needs to be changed but haven't decided which color. Also thought bw or red/black whould be nice.

The rearpanel isn't fully packed w/ all the pots and so on, so still some work to do.

Blix

Blixman, sorry for that little side-discussion about image size - your front panel is really nice!

I wonder how difficult it was to get the panel done - I mean in terms of describing to the milling/engraving guy what you really want. Did you just give him a drawing/file (what app did you use?) or did you have to specify some more details outside of that file?

Great job!

@ilmenator: Thanks alot.

I took the fpg file and transfered it manually to dxf with corel draw. I just painted

everything new. With this dxf file a friend of mine milled the frontpanel on

his engraving machine. This was much cheaper than paying for the "commercial" made

frontpanel.

The rearpanel is made by myself from the same material used for the front.

Damn that is nice :D

Big ups to wilba for offering up a tasteful LCD to match it, good on you man!

Photo resolution thoughts:

From a moderator's point of view (ie, from the POV of someone responsible for making the forum comfortable for everyone - not *my* point of view, but the POV of the person in that role), Ilmenator is right, those images are toooo big. 3072x2304? I don't know many people with a monitor that big. I (sadly) do know a few people stuck on dialup, who would not appreciate the long download times.

That leads me to a tech's POV, the pics are blurry enough that such a high res is simply a waste of bits. They could be half that, and not really lose much.

That said, from the synthgeek/GAShead's POV, as m00d pointed out, it is nice to have access to the superduper high res photos if you want to see them that way.

Perhaps it would be best to upload one of each (low and high res) in future...? That way everyone is happy... Anyway we can move that discussion to it's own thread if you guys would like to find a good alternative  guideline.

In the meantime illy, if you use firefox I recommend the ZoomFox addon to help out with big images like that. Unfortunately you do have to do a couple of extra clicks, but it is a bit easier to deal with, and comes with some nice bells and whistles.