No sound coming from the SID

Grimbert

I have a problem that i don't get any sound out of my sid, i only get a slight hum (ground?)

As i am a complete electronics noob i have no idea where to look for the problem.

All the voltages have been checked and they are correct, i have used a c64 psu.

MIOS and the testtone have been uploaded succesfully.

here is a picture of the pcb (large pic)

http://www.elexorien.com/bla/pcb.jpg

The testtone application has a special feature which allows you to test the output amplifier without SID.

Power Off your MIDIbox, unplug the SID, apply power again and connect pin #8 of the socket with pin #27. Do you hear a 1 kHz pulse sound thereafter?

Best Regards, Thorsten.

You are right... pin #28 was the intended one.

To summarize: you've checked the SID itself, the amplifier, the control signals between 74HC595 and SID, the 5V/12V supply voltage - so: almost all pins, and they are ok.

Remaining pins are #1..#4 (caps) can only be checked visually (should be easy!)

Pin #6 (the clock pin) is connected to CORE::J10:PWM. On the core, it's a routed to Pin #17 of the PIC. Depending on the PCB you are using, a cable is required as a bridge (see also this picture - the red marked connection) - did you consider this?

/Edit: a better picture

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Do you mean shorting J4 (Audio in) ?

I'm not sure (From memory) which J it is, but yes, the audio input shorted to ground.

When I read this, I thought.. oh.. how much could it drop it, but it drops the background noise HEAPS..

This does depend on what SID you are using, but my 6582's dropped from about 7% noise to about 1% noise.