MB-6582 front panel

Matrix12x

Has anyone taken the panel from the Pactek case and made the front panel with this yet?

I was looking for lessons learned or recommendations. I printed out the FPD file and use it as a guide for drilling.

My 1 yr old was helping in the photo below.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/h3SVi3vZ4EoKIQCUV3NX7w?feat=directlink

table>

What is the best way to cut the LCD hole without a milling machine?

I was thinking about getting this painted black at the paint-shop at my job and maybe laser marked when done. I'll probably have to tell them it's for a piece of test equipment for my bench. ;)

Hi,

While I haven't yet started work on the MB-6582 panel I have been thinking about it for a bit... The Front Panel Express panels are very nice but outside my budget.

With a decent column-mounted drill, it should be reasonably straightforward to drill all the required holes in the aluminium panel that comes with the PACTEC case.

For the LCD hole, I had a look around for square drill bits but no luck...  ;)

An alternative that has worked for me in the past is to drill a hole big enough to accomodate a fine-toothed jigsaw blade, then use that to cut the straight lines of the LCD cut out. With a steady hand (and possibly a bit of filing if required), it is possible to get pretty good results.

As for the labeling, I have had some pretty good results in the past using transparent ink-jet compatible label material (such as http://www.officeworks.com.au/retail/products/Office-Supplies/Paper-Labels-and-Envelopes/Labels/Inkjet-Printer-Labels/Clear-Inkjet-Labels/AV936008). Colours other than black tend to let a bit of light through, which is reflected by the brushed aluminium of the panel to good effect. A clear coat of sprayable PU varnish on top ensures good longevity. This technique also allows you to get quite creative with the use of colours. Think of it as the poor man's Lazertran...

As j00lz said, drilling the holes is not a big problem, even the LCD cutout is well doable with a bit of filing and time ;) For labelling I sometimes use laminated printouts glued to the panel. That works pretty well, the only hard/time consuming thing is to get the holes to look nice.

You can see my go at it here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/34559421@N02/sets/72157619960055010/

Quick overview:

Print out the artwork and glue it on the panel, drill the holes:

3640783573_607c28f417.jpg?v=0

Put double-sided sticky tape on it:

3640795883_936179f8e7.jpg?v=0

Stick the laminated panel printout on it, and cut the holes into it:

3640798189_fa48e00417.jpg?v=0

Mount the components:

3641611304_c3734a919c.jpg?v=0

Done:

3641615258_be13782de3.jpg?v=0

The transparency sounds cool and it will allow for graphics pretty easy.

I was afraid with the jigsaw of making it too home made looking. although I could probably come up with a jig and a fence or two.

I believe I've seen LCD bezels that might work *if* you're mounting the LCD where the LCD protrudes through the hole.  You could make a rough-ish cut, then fit the bezel around.  Or even make a bezel yourself out of wood or plastic with a hobby saw and small miter box (X-Acto makes one).

For the MB-6582 PCB, the LCD is mounted a few mm below the front panel so things are not so easy.  Using a jigsaw with a fence of some sort is probably best, or even a small hack saw and a bit of filing.  You can also try nippers (http://www.curiousinventor.com/store/product/91 or similar).  There's also some DIY metalworking videos at http://www.curiousinventor.com/guides that I just noticed.  I've not watched them yet (not during work!) but there may be some interesting info.

If you have a drill press you could try buying a cheap end mill and build a fence of some sort to guide the workpiece along and try to cut it that way.  And end mill looks like a drill bit but cuts from the side.  You might be able to use a router of some sort to do something similar.  (If you have a Dremel tool they have a router attachment that might work.)  If you decide to go the end mill route PM me if you need help picking an end mill since there are about a zillion variations.  I have a small milling machine so I'm somewhat familiar with them.

One final idea would be to get a piece of rigid plastic that forms an L shape (say 1mm x 3mm) and sort of make your own bezel that glues to the front panel.  If you put a nice 45 degree cut on each corner it might look rather nice and cover up any rough cuts.

Good luck!

Cutting fluid *might* also help, but with the thin metal for a front plate it probably won't matter.  FWIW WD-40 works great as cutting fluid on aluminum.

Also, if you clamp the piece you're drilling onto another piece of aluminum so you can "drill through" the front plate into the bottom piece you should get a cleaner bottom edge on the front plate.

• 3 weeks later...

I completed the rear panel and now I am 90% done drilling all the holes on the front panel. Only the LCD hole left to cut.

I used the jig saw to cut the fan hole and the 25 pin D connector hole. They looked kind of cruddy, but a bit  of filing and sanding and they are ok. I had the paint shop at work paint the rear panel. I'll post pictures soon.

Lard.. hehe.. (one of my favourite words)

You have to watch out with stainless as it work hardens.. keeping it cool is pretty important.... hence why coolant is traditionally used..(Pretty much water & oil & detergent)

Sharp drill bits and correct drill speed is important, as is moving up through drill sizes.

ie start with a centre punch, then say 3mm, then 6mm, then 10mm, then 13mm etc..

Don't drill a 13mm hole straight away, which would be asking for a not very accurately placed hole, and also the hole might not be very neat.

As you drill bigger holes, drill more slowly..

A drill press is great for accurate holes (not as likely to drift while you are drilling) but i've done most of my stuff without one.

I've got a dremel, and for holes and the like, it's generally crap.. A good small file beats it every time.

My massive 2 cents.

Regards

Mike

I drilled my panel, I think it looks like 90% of what I would of liked. some holes ended up a little off. I may have to open up 1 or 2 of the button holes. I painted it a flat black in the paint shop at work and that looks great. I will post pics when I finish things off a little better.

Thanks for all the great hints like slowing the speed of the drill press and stepping up drill sizes for a cleaner cut.

Thanks. :-)

I think I am going to use a clear plastic overlay, although I am afraid that cutting the holes in the laminate will look even crappier. Is the Avery type stuff ok? Is it available in only a few sheets?

I just dry fit the control PCB and found I definitely had to open some of the button holes with the next size drill bit to allow for my off center drilling.

Has anyone else drilled a panel at home for their MB8562?

One more machining tip I should mention: you should use a punch to mark the center of each of your holes before you drill.  A punch will leave a small dimple that will keep the drill bit from "wandering" before the cutting edge bites.  Here's a useful video: http://www.curiousinventor.com/guides/Metal_Working  They show a punch being used starting at 3:06.

Do you mean that the LEDs would not protrude through the panel?

Also, I just found my first mistake. Painting the backside of the panel. The JB welded standoffs peel paint if any pressure is placed upon them. I just had to replace half of them tonight. Now I am JB welding right to the aluminum, eliminating any paint in the areas I have to attach.