I have a gig on 10 okt and i suck (turntables)

Twin-X

Well i have not hit the decks for approx 8 years.

I am practising my ass off but it was even more diffcult to choose the records for my mix.

So would you be so kind to listen to my mix and tell me if i made the right decissions? Do they blend ok or don't they match.

You can critisise my mixing skill but i allready know i suck ;) Trying to make the mixes better this was just practise.

Feedback appreciated (on the choice of records that is)

Jeffry

http://twin-x.com/old/preparegig.mp3

p.s. if you do not like house music from 1990 - 1993 then don't listen.

"Your names not down, youre not coming in!" haha

well at least everythings beatmatched so thats a good start.

I think some of the tracks come in a bit too early and clash with each other,

but if you were to do a more of a seamless mix, then youd probably only fit half the tracks in.  ;)

Do some of these tracks have very short intros?

You wont really be able to help clashing with the short intros, unless you mix the tracks in a bit later, letting the preceeding track play a bit longer, but that = less tracks.

I enjoyed the mix though, a lot of old tracks there i havent heard before.

Id say youll be fine tbh, the selection will be more than enough to get people going crazy.

Selection is the most important thing for me,

Id prefer to hear someone with a good selection who cant mix,

than someone who can mix with an awful selection, (once that person didnt trainwreck it).

LOL i never knew this Charlie toons. Nice to see where it came from. Prodigy used a lot of samples my Girl is into reggea and espesially the old stuff ska/riddim and alot of english productions use samples from those old records.

Smithy we only got 1,5 hours and i am the only one with an odd record collection with unknown tunes. because of that they specificaly asked for me. Most tunes don't have breaks or intro's. It's techno. But you are right i should play some tunes a bit longer and let the blending in get better.

Smithy we only got 1,5 hours and i am the only one with an odd record collection with unknown tunes. because of that they specificaly asked for me. Most tunes don't have breaks or intro's. It's techno. But you are right i should play some tunes a bit longer and let the blending in get better.

Sorry what i meant by "intro's",

was a track that was mixable, i.e that had a good 2 mins of boom tish boom tish, dj frendly tracks in other words!

I should of been wayyyyyy more specific.

DUDE! I've got a gig on Oct 10, and I really suck!

I haven't mixed records for 10 years. My records are old too. Also, I haven't had a chance to practice yet. Probably tomorrow, though. You've inspired me.

I'm doing sound production for a friend's wedding, and having a mix (hopefully with actual mixing involved) at the end.

Kind of feels funny to see read the title of your thread.

Cheers,

madox

Listening to the mix now. What a nostalgia trip. Sweet.

Some of the transitions grind a bit, and others are rather smooth. I like the tunes. I think it's not such a bad thing to leave these tunes in the mix for a short time, these days, as it feels a bit more in step with recent tech this way. I think for some tracks though, it can detract a little from the effect if the track doesn't play out.

I think I'll put this mix in my car, if you don't mind.

Cheers

what is the name of the song that comes in at 5:30?  I love that song so much!  I have been trying to track it down but I don't know the name and I don't bother trying to sing it for people :P.  I used to hear it every week at raves back in the day.

That is Edge of Motion - Setup 707

Listening to the mix now. What a nostalgia trip. Sweet.

Some of the transitions grind a bit, and others are rather smooth. I like the tunes. I think it's not such a bad thing to leave these tunes in the mix for a short time, these days, as it feels a bit more in step with recent tech this way. I think for some tracks though, it can detract a little from the effect if the track doesn't play out.

I think I'll put this mix in my car, if you don't mind.

Cheers

I don't mind but when i can get my pc running again @ home (it crashed hard this time) i will record a new one that will be better.

I will take in your advice some tunes should play longer indeed for a better effect.

DUDE! I've got a gig on Oct 10, and I really suck!

I haven't mixed records for 10 years. My records are old too. Also, I haven't had a chance to practice yet. Probably tomorrow, though. You've inspired me.

I'm doing sound production for a friend's wedding, and having a mix (hopefully with actual mixing involved) at the end.

Kind of feels funny to see read the title of your thread.

You better practise then because i was really weird to stand behind the turntables after such a long time.

If you have a change to record it please do!! You made me curious.

Sorry what i meant by "intro's",

was a track that was mixable, i.e that had a good 2 mins of boom tish boom tish, dj frendly tracks in other words!

I should of been wayyyyyy more specific.

Ah those old tracks are not exactly DJ friendly maybe thats why i like music from then better then music from now. It brings variation if you are a sucky dj like me ;)

Im loving it, playlist please!

Nasrudin

Will do this when my pc is up and running @ home. (currently behind my pc at work)

I don't mind but when i can get my pc running again @ home (it crashed hard this time) i will record a new one that will be better.

Cool, look forward to it.

I will take in your advice some tunes should play longer indeed for a better effect.

8) Hope it works out.

You better practise then because i was really weird to stand behind the turntables after such a long time.

Yeah, trying to get around to it. I think I will be in for some surprises. I'm trying to fit in a couple of marathon sessions before the gig. Feels a bit like scheduling cram sessions for impending exams. ATM I'm attempting to finish of my projects for the week. Then I have to dig up my records, and hopefully bring in some CDs for more current material.

Thanks for the advice, btw. I know you're right.

If you have a change to record it please do!! You made me curious.

Heh. That makes two of us. I'll see what I can do, though if it's too shoddy, I may have to pass.

Cheers,

madox

Hi,

I bought a shiny new pair of Concords, in a flight case; ooooh, flight case ... Buying new styli made me feel young again. Heh.

Just managed to fit in some mix sessions over the past couple of days. First couple of sessions, I didn't really manage to get a single mix in. Hmm, anxious moments. Just then, I think I had the best session that I've done in years. Felt good. Still had a lot of trouble with some tracks, and I really don't know my records well at all any more. That makes things a little difficult.

Anyway, should be good enough to get by. I think there will be a few end-to-end fades, and the odd cut mix here and there, though I'm confident I can pull out some good mixes too. I kept a couple of mixes in for about 32 bars each, and was pretty happy with that. I was looking for a recording medium at that point, but didn't have anything handy.

Still had a lot of trouble with some tracks, and I really don't know my records well at all any more. That makes things a little difficult.

. I was looking for a recording medium at that point, but didn't have anything handy.

I had the same issue. Forgot how some tracks run in total.

Ah you don't have to record it as long as your audiance will have a blast.

I am lucky (or unlucky) to begin at the start of the party.

Ah you don't have to record it as long as your audiance will have a blast.

Yeah, I would kind of like to get something recorded, since I don't have any of my mixes at all.

I am lucky (or unlucky) to begin at the start of the party.

I'm playing after a wedding dinner, so I suspect a fair few people will be a bit drunk by then. That will probably help. Kind of like beat lubricant in the brain of the beholder.*

I had a bad moment this evening though. I was mixing Nations by Edge (Edge #14). I had it sitting in the mix, but it was a little fast. I was nudging it back a little, about every two bars or so. I went to trim the speed a tad, feeling all in the groove, and in control ... then I bumped the stylus as I brought my hand back from the pitch slide. Ahhhh  :-[ I scratched Nations! The first quarter of the record is fubar. I loved that track. It's quite pumping, a little funky, a little old school, with classic house/rave tie ins. Errrhhh. Deflated.

Anyway, I think I can play well enough for a couple of hours. That's probably enough. I'm not sure how much techno, old school hard trance, and banging acid my friend's will be willing to swallow anyway. As far as I know, there are only two people at the reception who have even heard these tunes before. There are quite a few churchy choir folk, some R&B drones, and love song saps (note my unbridled prejudice; it wasn't an accident  :P).

Should be fun.

Cheers,

madox

* does mixing metaphors make me a better DJ?

I had a bad moment this evening though. I was mixing Nations by Edge (Edge #14). I had it sitting in the mix, but it was a little fast. I was nudging it back a little, about every two bars or so. I went to trim the speed a tad, feeling all in the groove, and in control ... then I bumped the stylus as I brought my hand back from the pitch slide. Ahhhh  :-[ I scratched Nations! The first quarter of the record is fubar. I loved that track. It's quite pumping, a little funky, a little old school, with classic house/rave tie ins. Errrhhh. Deflated.

Hahaha common n00b mistake ;)

http://www.discogs.com/sell/list?release_id=101648&ev=rb

Plenty for sale i see. ;)

Anyway, I think I can play well enough for a couple of hours. That's probably enough. I'm not sure how much techno, old school hard trance, and banging acid my friend's will be willing to swallow anyway. As far as I know, there are only two people at the reception who have even heard these tunes before. There are quite a few churchy choir folk, some R&B drones, and love song saps (note my unbridled prejudice; it wasn't an accident  :P).

As long as they are not come up to request songs.... (wich i really hate) you'll be good ;)

I have the luck that i have a reuinion and everyone likes the music from back then.

most of the people that will visit were also in this place :

I am in that movie too but not in the youtube version ;)

The vid is from 1994

Any way good luck Saturday ;0

The Tracklist

1 Jam and Spoon - Keep on Movin

2 The Hypnotist - This is My House

3 Edge of Motion - setup 707

4 Frequency - Kiss The Sky

5 The Prodigy - Charlie

6 Edge - Compnded

7 CJ Bolland - Camargue

8 The Bouncer - Kicks Like a Mule (Housequake Mix)

9 Public Energy - Three o Three

9 Tellurians - Navigator

10 What is Fick Dig

11 Boy Girl EP - Two Tones

12 Two Pieces - Magic Bells

13 Mike Dunn - Magic Feet (Terrace Mixx)

14 I have A Dream

15 3 Phase Feat Dr Motte - Der Klang Der Familie

16 Vainqueur - Lyot (Marizio Mix)

17 Dextro NRG - Morella

18 Robert Armani - Watch It Remix (original Version)

19 Defcon Situation 2 - Blob

20 Rave a Graphixx - Rave The City (full color Remix)

21 Messiah - There is no Law (New York stylee mix)

22 Dave Clark - Winter

23 Brainstorm - Do i Feel Lucky

24 Synergy - Magic Control (synergy edit)

25 Krid Snero - White Line

26 The Gateway Experience - Twin Freaks

27 Master Techno - My Noise

28 Patric Pulsinger - Construction Tool

29 Termo - 911

30 Control DC - Rythmo Del Diavlo

31 Overdog - Fuck You Up

Hahaha common n00b mistake ;)

http://www.discogs.com/sell/list?release_id=101648&ev=rb

Plenty for sale i see. ;)

One thing that bothered me, is that I never did that before, when I was a complete noob.

Thanks for the discog link. I'll probably look into it, though I am a bit hesitant to buy records again. It was a very pleasant addiction, though.

As long as they are not come up to request songs.... (wich i really hate) you'll be good ;)

I had one friend's drunk wife getting upset that I refused to play R&B. I just couldn't explain it to her.

I have the luck that i have a reuinion and everyone likes the music from back then.

That's cool. It's nice to have a target audience.

Anyway, as for my mix, I got shutdown for noise complaints after three tracks. The organisers of the evening schedule didn't realise that the restaurant was only zoned for noise production till 10:30. Oh well. Hope your mix went a lot better than mine.

Cheers,

madox

That's cool. It's nice to have a target audience.

Anyway, as for my mix, I got shutdown for noise complaints after three tracks. The organisers of the evening schedule didn't realise that the restaurant was only zoned for noise production till 10:30. Oh well. Hope your mix went a lot better than mine.

Ah too bad about the noise complaints. The set they hired for us was a bit too much.

(Or i am getting old)

Anyway you did ok i guess and must have given you a good feeling to perform after such a long time.

We did quite ok. No complaints about the set everyone loved it. It was recorded.

Will post it when it becomes available.