m00dawg's sammichSID *FIXED*

m00dawg

IT'S ALIVE!!!!!

post-4914-126124235527_thumb.jpg

Still needs paint, which may happen this weekend. I'm thinking about going with yellow for the Sammich itself and white for the lettering. I also want to try to get some low-profile heatsinks on the SIDs because I'm OCD about cooling :)

One suggestion I have is to pick up some rubber adhesive feet. In the states you can grab those at Radio Shack or can order them from most any electronics supplier. The screws really made it move around.

Thanks again for everyone's help. This thing owns face and I haven't really even started using the really cool features!

IT'S ALIVE!!!!!

post-4914-126124235527_thumb.jpg

Still needs paint, which may happen this weekend. I'm thinking about going with yellow for the Sammich itself and white for the lettering. I also want to try to get some low-profile heatsinks on the SIDs because I'm OCD about cooling :)

One suggestion I have is to pick up some rubber adhesive feet. In the states you can grab those at Radio Shack or can order them from most any electronics supplier. The screws really made it move around.

Thanks again for everyone's help. This thing owns face and I haven't really even started using the really cool features!

It's beautiful, man. Nice Job.

I'm a bit late to help troubleshoot, but I've been real busy lately.

Wick not working? Solder wick only works well when it's fresh.. If it gets a bit old, it does not absorb the solder as readily.

Wick VS Solder Sucker? Each has advantages:

When wick is used properly (put the wick BETWEEN the iron and the part being desoldered) it slows down the heat increase at the part, helping to prevent overheating and lifting of the traces. It also burns your fingers that way. But if it's not fresh, it'll probably just piss you off anyway.

Solder suckers are faster, and can get solder out of deeper holes if used properly, but they only work well if you have practice. And the part and board will be subject to the full heat of your iron. (That's goods if you are, and bad if you're a noob)

I always prefer a solder sucker, because it never runs out. :)

Finally: Heat Sink Compound. I see you're in the states.. Radio Shack sells small tubes of white non conductive stuff pretty cheap.

owns face lol...

Rubber feet: I was going to include them but couldn't find a cheap source.

Heatsinks: Try the ones fussylizard suggested... you could cut the fins down a bit with wire cutters, maybe... I haven't tried putting them in sammichSID. Maybe some low-profile ones meant for PC RAM or GFX card chipsets would be cool.

I'm OCD about cooling too (note the overkill ventilation and "as big as can be" heatsink) but I don't worry about the SIDs in a sammichSID with all that ventilation. Heatsinks don't really help here... the heat is definitely getting out of the SIDs, and doesn't need to get out any faster IMHO YMMV OMGWTFBBQ

Go figure, that last time I went to Radio Shack they were out of the non-silver stuff. Ah well. I ended up using silver compound for the heatsinks on the regulators (just a lot less). Won't be doing that for my SIDs but I'll probably put sinks on them too. Fuzzylizard's heatsinks are awesome on the MB-6852 but the clearance is too low on the Sammich. Rather than cutting them, I'd rather get some low-profile sinks and do the heatsink glue / zip-tie trick.

I have to agree with Wilba, there is likely no reason to do this but it makes me sleep better at night :) Either way, I'll post some temps once I finish my infill painting so people have a frame of reference.