Do 8580 ever come in breadbox cases?

pingosimon

There are two different SID derivatives: the 6581 (first version' date=' initially used by C64 in the "brown breadbox case"), and the 8580 (later version, used by C64 in the flat gray case). There is also a 6582, which was sold as replacement for defective 8580s, and which sounds very similar (or identical?).[/quote']

IIRC that's what I read pretty much everywhere. So, imo, breadbox always comes with 6581, the flat C64C comes with 8580.

There is a way to check from the outside, which Sid will be in a C64C: If the f-keys are printed only on top, It's a 6581. If they have f1,f3,f5,f7 on top and f2,f4,f6,f8 on the front it's a 8580.

Ok to test this is just trashed a grey c64 it has f1,f3, etc on top and f2,f, etc on front. It contained a 6581 R4 chip????? I also tought the grey ones had 8580 in it.

I've seen first hand four times that a flat, grey case can contain a 6581.

There are also F keys that have BOTH printed on top of the key. F1 in the lower left corner, F2 in the top right corner. There doesn't seem to be a correlation between this printing and the type of SID.

Twin-X, you are right, i got it wrong.

I just checked 3 c64c, 2 of them were "all F on top",1 was "top/front".

Since the SIDs were pulled, I compared the serial numbers on the back.

Contrary to what i said before, the "all F on top" ones seem to be newer.

So it should be:

"all F on top" : 8580

"top/front": 6581

@Pingosimon: This may not apply to all C64C ever produced, but i remember choosing the last one I bought by this rule.

I needed a 8580 and got it this way. But maybe i've just been lucky.

Anyway, can you prove your point? Did you encounter different combinations of print/SID?

There were also some breadbox C64s (I think the official number is C64G) with 8580s inside, these were e.g. (or only?) sold by German discounter chain Aldi long after the C64-II came out. Internally they're C64-IIs but in a breadbox case. You can recognize them by their light gray keyboard (instead of the dark brown original one).

S

• 3 weeks later...