Filter and PSU box for MB6582

strophlex

I plan to make an external box with ssm2044 filters and PSU for my MB6582. As there will be need for a bipolar 12V supply for the AOUT modules I figured I might use the same PSU to power the MB6582. The C64 brick supplies 5V dc and 9V ac. The 9V are rectified, smoothed and regulated in the MB6582. If I ground one if the incomming ac pins and supply 12V dc on the other, would that make a good suply voltage for 9V dc? The 12V dc will be rectified (no change), smoothed (no change) and then regulated to 9V dc, right?

That sounds like it would work on the MB-6582 side. I'd have to check the schematic to be sure, but it should be OK.

One problem you might run into is with your bipolar PSU. I'm no expert, but I've read that some bipolar power supply designs do not work well when you try to pull more current off the positive supply than the negative supply. I use a Paia +/- 12V power supply for MB-FM. I tried pulling +5V off the +12V side and it didn't work correctly. May have been user error, etc. The Paia supply also uses a voltage doubler circuit which could have been a problem.

You'll probably just have to try it and see if your supply works, doesn't get too hot, etc.

Thanks for the input!

If you use a 7812/7912 pair you shouldn't have issues with the different loads. Your 7812 will get pretty warm though.

I guess you are right about that. Does anybody know how much current the MB6582 typically uses on the 9Vac inlet?

Also the whole bridging sth to ground in front of a bridge rectifier shouldn't be necessary.

I don't get what you mean here. Please explain this again. I plan to connect the new PSU through the 7-pin din connector on the synth.

• 7 months later...

Now I got all AIN_NG and SSMXXXX boards soldered and I think of how to connect the break out box with the MB6582. I will connect J6 of the core modules to J1 of the AOUT_NG modules and one pin of J5 of each core module to J3 of the SSM2044 modules. One thing I am pondering though is if I should use the 5V and gnd connectors of J6. The ground will be the same for both 12/-12 and 5V so connecting both grounds will create a ground loop? Also the +5V for J1 of AOUT_NG could be connected within the breakout box and doesn't have to make the detour to the MB6582 via PSU cable and then back again via expansion port cable, right?

EDIT: Changed J7 to J6 not to confuse anyone about to build the same stuff.

Edited by strophlex

Now that I am browsing around I get kind of confused.

Here http://www.ucapps.de/midibox_sid/mbsid_aout_interconnections.pdf it says I should connect J6 of the core module to J1 of the AOUT_NG module but

Here http://www.ucapps.de/mbhp_core.html it says J7 "sometimes also used for the MBHP_AOUT or MBHP_AOUT_LC module" and J6 Interface to the AIN module for MIDIbox64 and MIDIbox64E...

How am I supposed to connect it?

EDIT: It should be connected to J6.

Edited by strophlex

Sorry for asking this, but could you document the filterbox building process for us mere mortals? I am very interested in building one myself, but could not find a parts list or build documentation :(.

I have done a tutorial for the MB6582 CS (see it would be awesome for someone to write a) a base board tutorial and b) a filterbox tutorial so we have complete newbie-friendly build documentation for the awesome MB6582 + extensions ... :-)

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

This is my next MBHP build so be prepared for a barrage of questions since I am planning the same sort of device. I have a pactec case thats a perfect match for the PT10 (width, length, color) that I am planning on sticking the VCF/VCA modules as well as the bipolar PSU.

Here is one for starters: I assume you ran one NG per core? Can you possibly outline the connections and signal flow?

Edited by Altitude

AOUT_NG

Each core is connected to AOUT_NG via J6.

+/-12V is supplied from PSU.

VCF

Audio from the SID is connected to audio in of SSM2044 board

CV 1&3 is connected to cutoff of SSM2044 board (bipolar mode)

CV 2&4 is connected to resonance of SSM2044 board (unipolar mode)

+/-12V and gnd is supplied from PSU.

Bypass relay connected to pin 1 of J5.

VCA

Audio from the filter is connected to audio in of the SSM2164 board.

CV 5&6 of AOUT_NG module is connected to CV in of the SSM2164 board (unipolar mode)

+/-12V and gnd is supplied from PSU.

Audio out from here.

Then a lot of calibration... Good luck!

Edited by strophlex