Simple single SID parts

mushymouse

Hi there... hope this is the right place to post this...

I'd like to make a MIDIbox for my 6581. As it will be my first, I'm going to start with something simple and expand it with a control panel later.

Could someone confirm that these parts are all I will require to get something up and running?

* Core kit (with PIC18F4685)

* SID kit

* 4 x bank stick chips (24LC512) with 9 way D plugs + sockets for each

* 2x20 LCD display (16 pin DIL(L) connector)

* An old C64 PSU

Is there anything else I'll need, such as particular wires to connect things together?

I have a chip programmer already and a temp. controlled soldering iron, meter etc. so I think I have most of the tools, just want to be sure I have the components covered.

Thanks

Edited by mushymouse

Youre missing a few things, you need re-read the first page of the manual: :excl:

http://www.ucapps.de/midibox_sid_manual_hw.html

have a look of the PDFs, (the optimized c64 psu circuit diagram in particular, you will need to buy components for this.)

These will show you all the wiring required.

Everything is explained on there, if youre ordering from SmashTV be sure to buy

some Ribbon cable, and a female IDC connector in shop:

cIDC16pS.jpg,

for connecting the Core module to the LCD module.

You can tear off individual wires from the cable too.

If you rather not solder wires to the SIL pins (as shown on the bottom of the Core module page),

and prefer them to be detachable,

buy some SIL crimps and headers like these from smash:

c5p.jpg

Smash also has a crimping guide on his site in the info page,

you will need a crimping tool for this, ask smash if he has one in stock,

he *may* have one left.

Edited by Smithy

Also, you will need a C64 power port, power switch and joystick ports (for plugging in your bank stick modules). I salvaged mine from a defunct C64 motherboard by desoldering them using soldering iron and desoldering braid. Be sure to clean the soldering joints with alcohol and add a little flux to make the process easier.

The braid gets really hot! So be warned. Use tweezers to hold it or wear something on your fingers to protect from the heat.

If you need an old C64 motherboard, I have a bunch collecting dust in my basement. I can send you a couple for free. You would just pay for shipping.

And, you will need a breadboard for building the optimized PSU circuit.

A tip - when I order from Smash, I like to order more than the project needs of the following :

Ribbon cable

IDC connectors

SIL crimps

SIL headers

DIL headers

And when I order from Mouser, I get at least one extra of each component if they are not too expensive. For example, and extra capacitor or two.

It's always good to have extra parts, just in case you break something. I tend to break things. So, maybe it's just me. But, it's frustrating to have to stop in the middle of a project due to not having a part or messing one up.

Also, you will need a C64 power port, power switch and joystick ports (for plugging in your bank stick modules). I salvaged mine from a defunct C64 motherboard by desoldering them using soldering iron and desoldering braid.

Ahh great, thanks. I have a C64 in pieces already I could use for such a task.

Appreciate the tips too! I'll order a few extra at the same time :)

Ahh great, thanks. I have a C64 in pieces already I could use for such a task.

Appreciate the tips too! I'll order a few extra at the same time :)

I never used the joy-port solution for banksticks. I just slapped the bankstick chips on some vero board and soldered it together. I did this with both 2 and 8 chip banksticks, and pingosimon did it recently with 4 chips i think.... it's a lot easier to have all the banksticks 'inside' the box so you don't have to change all the time, also it's nice to have instant access to patches and ensembles :) another detail is that MBSIDv2 plays a sweet little arpeggio when you turn it on - the length of the arpeggio depends on the amount of banksticks inthere. but in the end it's all a matter of temperament and preference...

That does sound good, thank you! Maybe I could make a couple of them swappable out and still have a few inside :)

I think (hope) I've just ordered everything I need now... can't wait to get started! Really happy I found this site; I was trying to figure out how to convert my C64 to VGA output when I stumbled across a midi box video somewhere and it blew me away with its siddy goodness.

Thanks again :)