Core32 power problem

grizz

Hey,

I finished my second Core32, connected the SD card, loaded the USB mass storage device software, loaded the Wilba hardware file, and when I went to load the SEQ software the Core32 Green status LED turned off... Now when I plug the usb cable into my laptop the status light on the Core32 blinks 3 times and turns off. Does anyone have any ideas about why this is happening? Maybe I fried something....

Thanks,

grizz

FYI: My computer states that a non supported USB device has malfunctioned when I hook up the CORE32 to the computer...

Edited by grizz

Hi Grizz,

how is your MBSEQ powered?

Notebook PSUs (but sometimes also PSUs of desktop PCs) are mostly too weak.

This can lead to such effects that sometimes the core is working, sometimes not.

Sometimes the USB MIDI port will be found, sometimes not.

The best solution is to connect the MBSEQ to an USB hub with dedicated PSU (1A or more).

Alternatively you could use the external power option of the core.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Grizz,

how is your MBSEQ powered?

Notebook PSUs (but sometimes also PSUs of desktop PCs) are mostly too weak.

This can lead to such effects that sometimes the core is working, sometimes not.

Sometimes the USB MIDI port will be found, sometimes not.

The best solution is to connect the MBSEQ to an USB hub with dedicated PSU (1A or more).

Alternatively you could use the external power option of the core.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hi again,

So we installed the external psu, and no luck. The green light no longer even blinks three times. J23 was stuffed and that was causing the LED to not blink. So what happens when powered up is that the LED blinks 3 times slowly and then turns off. It seems like it could be the crystal or the 33 caps? I tested the voltage at J2, and get 5.04 volts. SO it is not a power problem...

another edit: So when we connect the midi in and out of the core32 to my computer, power it up, and query when the LED is blinking we get:

Operating Systen: MIOS32

Board: MBHP_CORE_STM32

Core Family: STM32F10x

Chip ID: 0x00000000

Serial: #35FFFFFF5836393645612543

Flash Memory Size: 524288 bytes

RAM Size: 65536 bytes

MIOS32 Bootloader

© 2009 T. Klose

After the LED has blinked 3 times and turned off, then there is no response when running a Query.

cheers,

Grizz

BTW: This is a second core32, not the first one that we are troubleshooting the AOUT_NG with.

Edited by grizz

• 4 weeks later...

We did some more troubleshooting on this Core32, and we found some new things out. First off, all the voltage checks are fine, and we replaced the crystal... which didn't do the trick.

Next we stuffed J27, and what we got was a solid green LED. This leads me to think that the main Core32 software has crashed. My understanding is that we need a JTAG or a CAN interface, both of which I have very little knowledge of. I am going to do some research when I get some free time, but if anyone has any suggestions I'm all eyes.

Also, if we do indeed need to burn the Chip again and someone has the proper hardware I'd be very thankful if I could send the Core32 off to you.

Cheers,

Grizz

We did some more troubleshooting on this Core32, and we found some new things out. First off, all the voltage checks are fine, and we replaced the crystal... which didn't do the trick.

Next we stuffed J27, and what we got was a solid green LED. This leads me to think that the main Core32 software has crashed. My understanding is that we need a JTAG or a CAN interface, both of which I have very little knowledge of. I am going to do some research when I get some free time, but if anyone has any suggestions I'm all eyes.

Also, if we do indeed need to burn the Chip again and someone has the proper hardware I'd be very thankful if I could send the Core32 off to you.

Cheers,

Grizz

Have you read this page? http://www.ucapps.de/mios32_bootstrap_experts.html

There is some links to JTAG Adapters.

• 1 month later...

So, an update (and introduction -- first post!):

Grizz and I were building this Core32 PCB (for me, they'll be two MidiBox Seq v4s the band ultimately) and I don't remember what exactly went wrong first, but I took it home and was kind of blindly (and stupidly) putting jumpers on and it only started to have more problems. Since we thought it was going to come down to buying a JTAG wiggler to fix it (or so we thought), I just bought a second Core32 and populated it myself based on the uCapps documentation, which has been going well (almost done).

On a whim I decided to load the SEQv4 application again on the "broken" core (pretty sure we did this before) while closing all the correct jumpers and lo and behold it started to work fine. I have no idea what the causality was in all this, but now it works great.

Thanks for everybody's help, its been cool being introduced to this community! Now I just need to buy another round of LCDs (been through 4 so far and luckily am only out $50 for it). Don't ever feel bad for being too uptight about pinouts, eh? I may trade a finished Core32 at some point over in the "Fleamarket" if I don't think of some additional project first.