mb64e vst-i intergrated hardware system

ssp

Well after a little while playing around with some new softsynths i needed something new to build, I am still working on my control surface console and that is going to take a while to finish the design so i needed something else to do.

Now some of the virtual softsynths i am using are really nice, but running them with fx and other features in real time takes cpu power up especially if im using several at a time in the DAW software. So I have decided to build myself a self contained vsti host hardware system with the mb64e as the main interface, the only other item used being a small trackpad ot a rollerball I am more inclined to use a rollerball as it would require less space.

I am currently working on the casework and layout but its pretty much laidout in solidworks already.

The system will use: a mini itx pentium i3 board, a scythe low level cooler, a raptor 15,000 rpm drive and 3 gig of ram with a layla 3g audio interface. midi handled by a gm5 internally and via usb linked to the mb64e core. psu will be a 1u internal m-itx psu in a slot in section for removal and replacement. The underside will have two removable drive mount plates for adding an additional drive, and the front lower panel will have a slimline/laptop dvd-rw drive for loading synths or software.

I have chosen Brainstorms Forte software as the front end as it allows me to combine or convert any midi signal it recieves to any parameter or function i want, also it will allow me to make patches of various setups of synths and fx and save them then assign each one to a certain midi cc# for instant recall. This combined with a really stripped back xp pro that only runs in 60mb of ram it should be really interesting.

I have a few pentium4 boards and processor lying around here to test single synths on, so it is possible to make a few of these only running single synths on the p4 boards.

Will upload the first renders of the casework later on.