MPC2500 Pads dead

julienvoirin

Dear Boxers i need your help for an Akai device (not midibox but I am sure there are experts here)

The Pads on my MPC2500 do not respond to pressure anymore as they would be dead.

Pads are done the following : sandwich = grey rubbers (upper layer) lying on FSR sensors (2nd layer) glued to a piece of metal (the lower layer)

The rubbers are fine.

FSR sensors are organised as a matrix.

there are 4 inputs and 16 outputs (1x4 + 1x4 + .. +1x4).

A 20 wires flat ribbon cable goes to a decoder and the datae are then transmitted to the MCU of the MPC.

The ribbon cable is plugged to a connector with 20 pins. I bypassed the FSR matrix using a wire to connect the in/out appropriated Pad terminals ; doing so i tested that all 16 crosspoints were OK in order to test the decoder. From this test I can certify that the decoder is working (it well indicates the good "pressed" pad)

The problem is more in the FSR or the ribbon cable. I more or less tested continuity of the ribbon cable : each wire is protected by a plastic film , so i had to use a pin to get the contact between the multimeter and the wire . It was rather complicated but ribbon cable should be OK

140.jpgFSR seems dead. Does anybody have an idea about that ?

Thanks for your help and advices

JV

Edited by julienvoirin

Hi,

did you already consider to contact Akai support for a replacement?

I had a similar issue on my Yamaha AN1x ribbon sensor some time ago - I called the local Yamaha service center in Germany and they sent me a replacement for only 10 EUR (including shipping!) :)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

yes i did

but it is a second hand and warranty is over

they adviced to get in touch with local maintenance (and this should NOT be fair price)

i can buy a replacement part on mpcstuff.com but it costs 75USD (ouch!) so some feedback is very welcome

Edited by julienvoirin

The pads are known to go dead in the MPC1000.

I ordered the upgrade for $185 USD and I'm waiting for them to come into stock... :mad:

I don't know about the 2500 pads dying but I know you can get a sensitivity upgrade. They are little cork discs that stick inside of the rubber. You probably know about that if you know MPCStuff though.

You could try cleaning the contacts but you'll most likely have to bite the bullet and buy a new pad set. :pinch:

At least you can replace the component and DIY. Still alot cheaper than buying a new one. Those pads take a beating.

Take what I say with a grain of salt though. I am only familiar with the MPC1000.

Good Luck. If you figger' it out please post up here.

julian the fsrs just wear out, common issue with them, no point doing the sensitivity upgrade its better to just replace the fsr sheet. I got mine from mpc stuff the guys there were great.

when i built the bpm controller i spoke with franklin eventoff who actually designed the fsr its elf and we spoke about it in great deal and he said the only issue with it is that after a period of time they wear and become un-useable.

It is better to replace them when that happens.