LCD Menu Keys

Deadline

I only know in the context of the MB-SID but I assume the other projects are the same - they allow you to select items on the screen, typically on the second row of a 2xYY LCD screen. See this for an example. The LCD examples in the link illustrate what I'm talking about. Typically you would have buttons along the bottom so you can pick the item being displayed. So on the 2x20 example, the left most button would control the OSC, the second the WAV type, etc. It's very handy for when you want to change parameters and do not have a dedicated control item to do it, among other things.

Hi,

In the MIDIBOX FM user manual you can read comment to the front panel functions :

... "The huge number of parameters restricts the flexibility in possible configurations. E.g., the use of a 2x40 LCD is strongly recommended so that the patch names of all instruments are visible on the main screen. In some submenus the parameters are arranged in a way which makes a quick access to relevant values only possible if eight values are visible (and selectable via soft-buttons) at once - example: the EG5 envelope page with the parameters Attack - AttackLevel - Decay1 - DecayLevel - Decay2 - Sustain - Release - Curve -..." in the leftmost view, and all depths in the rightmost view of the page. With a 2x16 display only three menu entries are visible, with a 2x20 display only four. "...

Regards,

Janis

• 3 months later...

from my own experience building a few mb64e projects now, the menu system is essential. Using the built in editor for the mb64e allows you to edit every parameter for your controllers without having it plugged into the computer and then save it to the bankstick. It is also good to have for de-bugging purposes.

The built in editor for the mb64e will allow you to edit the name for the control you are editing, the function as in cc#, note on, sysex, meta event etc, also the toggle state, on/off, radio button, or toggle, this is handy if you have a non latched button that needs to act as a latched button, you assign the toggle mode to it and hey presto its off state is 0 and its on state after a press is 127 (or what ever parameter value you assign to it).

I love the mb64e so many possibilities!