Making a 'Matt Gray' style bass in MULTI mode...

Tonka

Hi there,

first of all, thanks for sharing the patch...

As far as I´ve understood in Multi Engine Mode (I don´t use it usually :-)), there are no single oscillators configurable (as you´ve described in the last post), but six different "instruments" that are mapped to the three oscillators of the two SIDs. You can address these instruments via different MIDI channels (and you did that in the demo midi file). You can configure those instruments of course with different oscillators and you did that, so I guess it is just a "naming misunderstanding" in the last post.

When I open your multi patch in Rutgers Librarian

instrument 1 uses a square

instrument 2 uses triangle, sync and ring mod

instrument 3+4 use square with different sustain levels

instrument 5+6 use triangle with different sustain and release levels

Does this match your intended patch? If so, the displaying in Rutgers Editor is correct - also the uploaded patch appears to be identical, when uploaded to a MB6582. I uploaded it by selecting to the appropriate bank slot (A 56 in my case) in the java editor, followed by "file -> load patch -> your patch file" and then "transmit -> patch to memory". So, no problems in uploading to a MB6582 on my side.

Nice demo midi track btw!

Best regards,

Peter

Edited by Hawkeye

Heya - cheers for the feedback!

Yes - naming difference I think. What would normally be a SID oscillator becomes a 1 oscillator instrument in it's own right in multi mode.

Those values sound correct. Now that you have saved your patch into your MBOX, if you close Rutger's editor and turn off your MBOX, when you turn it back on (and maybe change patches and come back to the Matt Gray patch), does it then still sound the same? If it does, then maybe it's a saving bug in my Sammich's (they both do it).

Can anyone confirm it's OK using a their Sammich?

Yes, it stays the same - I navigated to different patches meanwhile and came back to verify...

Are you sure you didn´t just "upload to buffer"? It only stores the patch in "volatile" memory, in that case you need to save it manually from the MIDIbox...

The other upload method ("upload to memory") directly writes to the bankstick and it should be conserved there for some time...

Best regards.

Peter

Edited by Hawkeye

Hi,

thanks Tonka for the nice patch!

I tried the patch in both my usual MBSID and in a Sammich, showed symptoms are the same.

I can upload the patch to memory from the editor and it sounds just fine from what I can tell but it doesn't retain some settings (after saving and browsing patches).

Behavior looks similar to what Tonka described before.

Bye

please forgive me my ignorance. what is it actually that makes a Matt Gray bass, technically?

of course i've listened to the demo you made and it sounds very cool. I'm gonna try it too as soon as i've hacked my sid together again (finally).

also i must admit, i haven't done anything yet with the multi engine, except for testing that it works. so the discussion about the technical details in this thread is, embarassingly, a bit over my head.

is there an easy way to explain, or would it rather be shut up and try ?grin.png

Edited by rosch

It's a fairly simple wavetable bass which begins with a high pitched noise wave and then goes into a pulse which is swept from narrow to wide to create hammering basslines which really cut through a mix nicely. I guess the best way is to give an example from the man himself (though *technically* I think Rob Hubbard used this type of bass first in the Sanxion loading music):

http://www.se2a1.net/soasc/dl.php?d=soasc/soasc_mp3%2FMUSICIANS%2FG%2FGray_Matt%2FDominator_T02.sid_CSG8580R5.mp3

Ahh, here's Rob's Sanxion loader too. Just because it's so bloody AWESOME!

http://www.se2a1.net/soasc/dl.php?d=soasc/soasc_mp3%2FMUSICIANS%2FH%2FHubbard_Rob%2FSanxion_T01.sid_MOS6581R4.mp3

Edited by Tonka

Is the high pitched sound,the improvised hihat your hear in his tracks Tonka?

Have you ever tried using the SID DUMP tool to see what parameters are being used in his tracks?

If you haven't seen it before, its in the Wavetable tutorial in the manual.

IT should help figure out the exact parameters of each sound.

This is something i've wanted to get around too thats been long overdue.

And Speaking of Matt Gray & Rob Hubbarb,

Gray's remix of Crazy Comets has some cool funky sounds too!

http://www.se2a1.net/soasc/dl.php?d=soasc/soasc_mp3%2FMUSICIANS%2FG%2FGray_Matt%2FCrazy_Comets_Special_ReMix_T01.sid_MOS6581R4.mp3

Edited by Smithy