Can I use MB-6582 control surface on a single core+sid module?

tob

+1 for getting an MB6582 baseboard. The MB-6582 mainboard uses a button and LED matrix. So if you want to use the MB6582 firmware as well, you could need to replicate that. You don't have to do it that way though, but I think you'll avoid some headaches if you just grab the baseboard. SmashTV has both the base and CS boards on his store.

Ok, I bought the 1 x core8,2 x sid+1 x DINX4. My first thoughts was to build the minimal control surface and then I changed and wanted to go with the large control and now I'm more into the MB-6582 control surface.

Maybe I go for the minimal anyway :frantics:

You can always design your own control surface when you get to that stage as well and, at that point, can build it however you like. To do that, you still may need to modify the code a bit to make the digital ins and outs more efficient for your design, but it's not terribly difficult to do so. The code changes are easy. Setting up the toolchain is the part, I have found, that takes a bit of time.

yeah i always wanted to do my own CS too. result: 2+ years without MB6582 frantics.gif

but today i got back to reason and ordered boards from smashTV!!!

but i'm still planning to make a custom surface in the future too, once i get figured out the matrix!

I've been working on some stuff for my own MB-6582 inspired rack-mount control surface. Feel free to have a look. Was thinking about setting a bulk order at some point for my 8x8 LCD Matrix board if you want in on that (it's on the wiki). Not sure when I'll be able to get back to that though. Hoping to start working on it again this fall.

Edited by m00dawg

yeah i'm definitely in for the matrix board. we've been talking about that in your thread some time ago.

my plan now is to complete my MB6582 with 6582A sids and also making a full CS for a little stereo version with 6581 R4AR sids, which sound different to the regular 6581 i found (but following TK's standard wiring from the pdf's) i'll keep those stock.

and once they're running i'll make one 6582 with a custom control surface and 6581 with SSM filters and vcas. so this will be more advanced in different regards. things to learn....

i'll have a look at your wiki page and write myself down on your list then.

Edited by rosch

Oh yeah I forgot we talked about that, duh :) 8x8 board is basically done, other than going back and forth on whether or not to make it more compatible with various other control surface designs that might not follow the MB-6582 matrix layout. Before doing the order, someone else should probably independently go over it for defects. If the bulk order doesn't fly before I need it, I'll just get it fabbed at BatchPCB and can at least report back success/failure in the design :)

6581's + SSMs will probably sound awesome, by the way!

6581's + SSMs will probably sound awesome, by the way!

yeah i think so! i've only had it running in stereo with 6582As and also 8580 so far and it sounds awesome already. i think the step to 4x stereo will have a huge effect.

Almost :) 3mm LEDs though - same as in the MB-6582 although hmm I wonder if you could use 5mm. Also, the diodes are SMD and sit on the underside of the board. That was purely to save space but I think that would be good practice anyway for folks wanting to rock SMDs. Buttons are tact switches just like the MB-6582 and TK's reference C64-based design. If the pin-outs are the same, you could use squarish ones perhaps if you wanted a larger cap, though? I mostly stick to those style buttons because they are cheap (both in terms of the buttons and the cost of drilling the CS) and rather reliable.

Right now I'm blowing all my money on getting a good vinyl turntable setup and trying to work on some other musical side projects but really if everyone is good with the board being sort of untested 'as-is', we can rock the bulk order once enough people have signed up. I haven't really been advertising it much though and I would bet we would need at bare minimum 25 people to make the costs per board low.

EDIT: Responded to rosch last post

Edited by m00dawg