Midi keyboard suggestions

flip

Yo!

I want to buy a new Midi keyboard. It should be a good quality build (no cheap plastic stuffs) and have nice keys. A few controllers would also be nice to record some CCs into my MPC and hopefully soon the MBSEQv4 :)

I do not want fancy things like USB audio interfaces or stuff like that...

Oh yeah, it shouldn't be too expensive (250 Euro absolute max).

I'm looking at the CME UF50/UF60 Classic at the moment. Is there anyone here with experience with those keyboards? Do you have any other suggestions?

Looking forward to your answers :)

Cheers!

flip

Dunno about the CME, but as your master keyboard for the SEQ, I´d recommend to go for the 61-key variant (UF60).

Also, actually testing them in a store is recommended - there are real differences to the key feeling regarding the mechanics (standard, weighted, hammer) and while you may love one type, your fingers will fall off using the others :).

Bye!

Peter

Edited by Hawkeye

if you're going to build a midibox64 anyway and need just a really good keyboard, i'd recommend an ensoniq mirage, or a casio VZ-1. the mirage for example has weighted keys , they're all very sturdy and way better than any of the crap you can buy today, especially for the price. such keyboards usually always go for lower than 200€ on ebay. also a good keyboard i had was the ensoniq EPS. good sampler too, btw!

Edited by rosch

Kawai K5000 has the nicest, fastest, lightest (without feeling flimsy) keyboard mechanisms ever! It's definitely a synth-player keyboard. Classical weighted piano keys are better catered for elsewhere... Plus it's a *very* nice sounding and good-looking synth! Get one off Evil-bay, Craigslist or whatever serves your area. The E4K had the same Fatar mechanism I think.

Dunno about the CME, but as your master keyboard for the SEQ, I´d recommend to go for the 61-key variant (UF60).

Also, actually testing them in a store is recommended - there are real differences to the key feeling regarding the mechanics (standard, weighted, hammer) and while you may love one type, your fingers will fall off using the others :).

Thanks Hawkeye! I'll try going to a store if I find the time, but I think I'll just order online, always such a hassle going to real stores ;)

if you're going to build a midibox64 anyway and need just a really good keyboard, i'd recommend an ensoniq mirage, or a casio VZ-1. the mirage for example has weighted keys , they're all very sturdy and way better than any of the crap you can buy today, especially for the price. such keyboards usually always go for lower than 200€ on ebay. also a good keyboard i had was the ensoniq EPS. good sampler too, btw!

Thanks for the tips rosch. I'm not planning to build a Midibox64 though ;) I'd really like to have some knobs on the keyboard, as well as Sequencer Rec/Play buttons. I think that would make for a really nice workflow, being able to record sequences with CCs into my MPC without ever taking my hands off the keyboard.

The CME keyboards are surprisingly nice.

Thanks nebula. Do you have some more details maybe? Do you use one, or have you used one?

Kawai K5000 has the nicest, fastest, lightest (without feeling flimsy) keyboard mechanisms ever! It's definitely a synth-player keyboard. Classical weighted piano keys are better catered for elsewhere... Plus it's a *very* nice sounding and good-looking synth! Get one off Evil-bay, Craigslist or whatever serves your area. The E4K had the same Fatar mechanism I think.

Thanks jojjelito. The K5000 sure looks nice! I'll keep it in mind. It's a little bit over my budget though...

• 4 weeks later...

I just picked up a slightly used Korg Kontrol 49, (the one with the full size keys). I've very happy with it, though the action is very much in the synth /organ style, not at all piano like, though it has programmable velocity curves, (it had pretty well programmable everything!). It work well with what I'm trying to do, though I am looking for a second hand Fatar 88 notes weighted keyboard for soemthign more paino like, later on.