Some other Progs beside Eagle?

pay_c

Hi there!

Wanted to ask if any of you know (and of course use) other progs to design their PCBs/schematics than Eagle?

I worked with eagle now for a little bit and I just dont like it to much. The controlling of this thing is just way to complicated and there has to be some better solution than that. :-/

Or you just step into the discussion and tell me, why you think Eagle is great! :D

Hi there!

Wanted to ask if any of you know (and of course use) other progs to design their PCBs/schematics than Eagle?

I worked with eagle now for a little bit and I just dont like it to much. The controlling of this thing is just way to complicated and there has to be some better solution than that. :-/

Or you just step into the discussion and tell me, why you think Eagle is great! :D

Well, if you use GNU/Linux (or other *NIX OS), the best choice is pcb. It is free and open-source and to be found at: http://bach.ece.jhu.edu/~haceaton/pcb/  (Screenshot: http://bach.ece.jhu.edu/~haceaton/pcb/pcb_screen.gif)

If, as I expect, you run an M$ OS, you have the following alternatives:

Qcad, which is available in a free version (limitations: 499 pins & some printinglimitations) @ http://www.winqcad.com/ I have not used this software yet...

Protel(http://www.protel.com/) is a big alternative to Eagle, but for most people far too pricey. The old version (99SE) is beeing sold for ~8000US$ at the moment, for people with an old operating system ;) So if you are filthy rich, in which case send me an PM and I will give you my paypal account details, buy Protel, if you dont like Eagle... ;D

So, why not learn to love Eagle? Why? Because mainly most people use it, and so a lot of designs are in the Eagle-native format and you can get a lot of support here. I dont think, if this is your problem, that other software are easier to use! It is CAD, it *has* to be difficult.

I hope you have 3 interesting alternatives now, if you still want to dump Eagle.

/Edit Da formating 8)

Well, if you use GNU/Linux (or other *NIX OS), the best choice is pcb. It is free and open-source and to be found at: http://bach.ece.jhu.edu/~haceaton/pcb/  (Screenshot: http://bach.ece.jhu.edu/~haceaton/pcb/pcb_screen.gif)

If, as I expect, you run an M$ OS, you have the following alternatives:

Qcad, which is available in a free version (limitations: 499 pins & some printinglimitations) @ http://www.winqcad.com/ I have not used this software yet...

Protel(http://www.protel.com/) is a big alternative to Eagle, but for most people far too pricey. The old version (99SE) is beeing sold for ~8000US$ at the moment, for people with an old operating system ;) So if you are filthy rich, in which case send me an PM and I will give you my paypal account details, buy Protel, if you dont like Eagle... ;D

So, why not learn to love Eagle? Why? Because mainly most people use it, and so a lot of designs are in the Eagle-native format and you can get a lot of support here. I dont think, if this is your problem, that other software are easier to use! It is CAD, it *has* to be difficult.

I hope you have 3 interesting alternatives now, if you still want to dump Eagle.

/Edit Da formating 8)

Look at this one: LayoPCB

The site is in Dutch which you probably don't understand. Don't try to, just go to the downloads section. When you go to the downloads section and click Layo PCB, you'll see 4 links. The 2 last ones are the english versions (one as .exe, one as .zip).

The free version is the same as the full version, except for the fact that the free version only can make 200 component boards maximium. These components come from the included library. But you can make as much holes and via's as you want to, so you can cheat and make boards with more components. It works pretty easy and fast, so check it out. I first used Layo PCB and after that Eagle and didn't like the way Eagle worked. I think Layo is better. But LayoPCB (freeware version) doesn't have as much functionality as Eagle.

Don't try the 'freeware' Layo Electro, because it has got an 'save' limitation. It's a program for making shematics, but what good is it if you can't save your work.

The site is in Dutch which you probably don't understand. Don't try to, just go to the downloads section. When you go to the downloads section and click Layo PCB, you'll see 4 links. The 2 last ones are the english versions (one as .exe, one as .zip).

The free version is the same as the full version, except for the fact that the free version only can make 200 component boards maximium. These components come from the included library. But you can make as much holes and via's as you want to, so you can cheat and make boards with more components. It works pretty easy and fast, so check it out. I first used Layo PCB and after that Eagle and didn't like the way Eagle worked. I think Layo is better. But LayoPCB (freeware version) doesn't have as much functionality as Eagle.

Don't try the 'freeware' Layo Electro, because it has got an 'save' limitation. It's a program for making shematics, but what good is it if you can't save your work.

Phew, much stuff to check out. Thnx! I`ll try a few ones (first - naturally - the free ones)

@Poeleq: Yeah, thats true! Those people seem to dislike "normal" people to understand that stuff to easily (e.g. other CAD/CAM programs!).

/edit: again @Poeleq: Yeah, a dammit Maxihard user.  ;D

/2nd edit: OMG!! @DriftZ: THESE ARE MANY LINKS! I had no idea that there are SO many PCB Progs around out there! WOW!

Phew, much stuff to check out. Thnx! I`ll try a few ones (first - naturally - the free ones)

@Poeleq: Yeah, thats true! Those people seem to dislike "normal" people to understand that stuff to easily (e.g. other CAD/CAM programs!).

/edit: again @Poeleq: Yeah, a dammit Maxihard user.  ;D

/2nd edit: OMG!! @DriftZ: THESE ARE MANY LINKS! I had no idea that there are SO many PCB Progs around out there! WOW!

I've been feeling some annoyances with Eagle myself. It IS prety powerful for software that has such a capable free version, but little things like "Undo" being Alt-Backspace (how the hell is that better than Ctl-Z???) and the fact that it totally fubared the last 3 board designs I saved and refused to reopen them, oh, and it only runs intermittently on my Linux desktop (my main box) 4/5ths of the time having a licensing problem, I'm feeling a little put out.

Thanks for the alternatives list!

I've been feeling some annoyances with Eagle myself. It IS prety powerful for software that has such a capable free version, but little things like "Undo" being Alt-Backspace (how the hell is that better than Ctl-Z???) and the fact that it totally fubared the last 3 board designs I saved and refused to reopen them, oh, and it only runs intermittently on my Linux desktop (my main box) 4/5ths of the time having a licensing problem, I'm feeling a little put out.

Thanks for the alternatives list!

I'm just making my first PCB: A Bankstick Selector. Check the design concepts for more.

And I am actually doing it with eagle again. If you get used to it (and all that key commands) and learn it (YES! I DID read the tutorial) it's pretty fast.

But anyhow I'll try the other progs, too. I already tried Layo1, but didnt like it to much. It's without schematic. And so: If the things get a little more complicated you are dammed to make some mistakes.

I'm just making my first PCB: A Bankstick Selector. Check the design concepts for more.

And I am actually doing it with eagle again. If you get used to it (and all that key commands) and learn it (YES! I DID read the tutorial) it's pretty fast.

But anyhow I'll try the other progs, too. I already tried Layo1, but didnt like it to much. It's without schematic. And so: If the things get a little more complicated you are dammed to make some mistakes.

mm I though eagle was good... but very very expensive (the autorouter is very bad...). Well, the size limitation isn't a problem, usualy... but I want to make a board for 32 switch, 32 led, and DIN/DOUT moduel for my lc... so I started it, and the first half of the PCB fit into the eagle limitation... but not the other. After trying to find a good way to make 2 pcb, I decided to make one, and use an eagle crack (yes I know, it's bad.. but $125 for this software, for a non profit license is too exepnsive... as I said, the router is useless). So I did it, design the second half of the board... save it.. and when I reopened it, it say that my board I've been saved using an illegal copy... so? I lost everthing! nw I am very very angry against cadsoft... I can't find a good free one...

• 2 months later...

<whine>

I have used (or tried to use) at least PADS (for dos), PowerPADS, (far more powerful ;)) Protel99, OrCAD 9.*, Eagle, and have always been disappointed. I just hate learning curves of these PCB designing softwares: Yeah, right, I'm not an engineer (and hopefully never will ;)), but each time I have to learn a new type of engineering practises, which of course vary from software to software. I think there are examples from different kinds of a software, where 'so called' difficult things are made easy from the end users viewpoint and I think this is one aim of the computer technology. Great (easy) user interface doesn't have to mean loss of power or functionality.

</whine>

So, once I tried Target 3001, I fell in love ;). IDE (from schematic to pcb and back, by clicking one icon), comprehensive component libraries, and easy adding of your own, (at least providing footprint is existing). No big tutorials to read, for even to begin.

The drawback here is that Target is a commercial software: You can download 100 pins/pads "discover" version from: http://www.ibfriedrich.com/english/engl_vordownload.htm'>http://www.ibfriedrich.com/english/engl_vordownload.htm

But students can get their licence pretty cheap for unlimited pins/pads (professional) version. Check the site: http://www.ibfriedrich.com

BUT, for those who will only use it for their own private projects, there is PCB-POOL edition: It's "FULL version", crippled so, that you can't export your design, and can't print it in scales of 90-110%. If you can do with printed designs: Print it in scale of 200% to pdf printer (CutePDF) scaled to 50%, that will do! ;)

http://www.pcb-pool.com/ppuk/service_downloads_target_request.html

Ok, That's it, try it and give some feedback ;)

Samppa

• 2 weeks later...

You can download and use a 30-day "trial" version of the latest Protel. Slightly unintuitive at first, but it grows on you. You do have to create a few custom components and footprints (ie. for capacitors, upright-standing resistors, etc.) but the end result is professional.

My tips for beginners:

* learn about net labels and power ports (ie. ground symbols, +5v symbol etc) - these simplify schematics and you can set preferred track widths per "net".

* use vias and top layer tracks to represent bridges (if you're doing a single-sided PCB)

* use the Inspector window to change properties

* always route manually!

I downloaded it and looks ok to me (never tried a program like this but it sure is easy to work with).

Now i would like to know is when i have finished a pcb to what company can i send the file?