Building a "Stand-alone" SID-synth with control interface

Soturi

Hi,

I wasn't 100% sure where to post it, but design concepts seemed to be the best match, so here goes:

I have built a very nutritious ;) Sammich around two 8580 chips and am currently using it with Goattracker over a modified hardsid.dll (permits the use of any midi output for controlling the Sammich sounds). It has been fun and all, but I'm always feeling that I want more hands-on control. So what I'm asking, is for the "best"(in your opinion) project for building a good synth with proper control surface.

I have good basic skills with soldering and in electronics. I am not afraid of doing bigger projects, as long as I have instructions to follow in harder bits. Of course i can also ask help here, if need be.

I have went trough ucapps and there are some solid leads for this, but I would like your opinion in this, since I havent' really come up with a proper whole project idea.

So the wishlist goes as follows:

1. Synth engine based aroud SIDs

2. All(or almost all) parameters can be changed by dedicated controls

3. Midi in and out

4. LCD for info

5. initial budget under 400€ if possible

6. Bonus would be, that it is usable as a stand-alone sequencer, but that's not necessary.

...I'll add more later

What do you guys think? Also if you feel that there is a better place for this topic, please move it. Thanks!!

I'm with m00dawg on the MB6582 for the synth part. Build a MBSEQ 4L for the rest of your sequencer needs in order to keep costs at a reasonable level. Or go for the full no-holds-barred MBSEQ v4 - but that in itself costs more than 400€ easily if you get a nice front panel, case and the displays.

Thanks for participating in this. I've thought about MB6582 and Midibox Seq earlier, but thought I'd start this fresh, as in see if other options come up. I'll go trough the specs for them with more thought and see how I feel. Good stuff guys, keep them coming. This kind of comments push me forwards in deciding what to go for, so it's really good stuff :) Thanks!