Sd card adapter module €1,54 on Ebay

EsotericLabs

Hello midibox friends,

Look what I found on the web:

http://www.ebay.nl/itm/170817952203#ht_1922wt_983

Dirt cheap sd card adapters!! They look nice for building into a casing. And for $1,54 only, worth trying. The pin labeling is a bit different but google sd card pinout and you ll find how to connect it.

Bought some of course, hoping to hear your experiences as well.

Update: the ad might be gone one day.. It is an eBay store Txhang electronic. Also dirt cheap 16x2 displays for €1,87 each and 100 3mm LEDs for €2,01.

To get back on topic: the card reader itself is ok, I have ordered one myself a few weeks ago. But mounting it in a case is a little difficult, as the two (only!) mounting holes are rather small and located very close to the DIL connector.

Also, the card reader is only soldered in the back. The front (the side on which the card is inserted) can be lifted up from the PCB, so a little soldering is required to fix this.

• 3 weeks later...

To get back on topic: the card reader itself is ok, I have ordered one myself a few weeks ago. But mounting it in a case is a little difficult, as the two (only!) mounting holes are rather small and located very close to the DIL connector.

Also, the card reader is only soldered in the back. The front (the side on which the card is inserted) can be lifted up from the PCB, so a little soldering is required to fix this.

Just for the record, I bought a very similar item (http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/330658250543, in fact, it looks really the same) and only have two comments:

- the front side of the SD card socket is soldered to the PCB on the adapters I bought,

- there are in fact 4 mounting holes (seems to be 2.5mm diameter, however) but front ones are covered by the SD card socket itself, whence rendering these unusable for screws. Maybe the intention is not to use through-PCB screws but the front holes are more a notch for e.g. (threaded) shafts without actually going through the whole PCB. I don't know the correct English expression but I hope you know what I mean :rolleyes:

Anyway, I changed the DIL header for angled SIL to minimize the height (all pins are duplicated so no real need for DIL unless you are chaining the modules, and this can be worked around by a cable as well) and I am intending to secure the front side by inserting the SD card socket into the back panel itself while being hold using screws in the back.

Hope this helps,

Adrien

Just for the record, I bought a very similar item (http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/330658250543, in fact, it looks really the same).

Hello Adrien,

did yours work directly when connected? mine doesn't. I soldered DI -> MOSI; DO->MISO; RC1->CS ; SC->SCK; Vs->GND; Vd->+3V3. Does it also need +5V? I checked with the USB Mass Storage device (mios/apps/examples), but then the core does not see the SD card and the display sayd SD Card disconnected.

I have spare ones I will try, but Id like to hear your experiences. Thanks!

Hello Adrien,

did yours work directly when connected? mine doesn't. I soldered DI -> MOSI; DO->MISO; RC1->CS ; SC->SCK; Vs->GND; Vd->+3V3. Does it also need +5V? I checked with the USB Mass Storage device (mios/apps/examples), but then the core does not see the SD card and the display sayd SD Card disconnected.

I have spare ones I will try, but Id like to hear your experiences. Thanks!

Martijn,

I built three cables (tested with 3 adapters) and all of them worked on first attempt. I'll post the cable pinout in few hours when I get back home (but I was following SD card schematic and made a little table for SD card vs. adapter DIL (that turned to be almost 1:1, in fact). The only thing that could have gone wrong is the MISO/MOSI cabling but you only have two choices here, the rest seems to be okay. I had both GNDs connected (as per SD card schematics) but internally they're connecter on the adapter PCB anyway, so this should make no difference, regardless.

No, I didn't connect +5V either, apparently there's a 3.3V regulator on the adapter itself to allow using it with 5V hosts - not the case for STM32 nor LPC17.

Be back in a few,

Adrien

Edited by freddy

Martijn,

I built three cables (tested with 3 adapters) and all of them worked on first attempt. I'll post the cable pinout in few hours when I get back home (but I was following SD card schematic and made a little table for SD card vs. adapter DIL (that turned to be almost 1:1, in fact). The only thing that could have gone wrong is the MISO/MOSI cabling but you only have two choices here, the rest seems to be okay. I had both GNDs connected (as per SD card schematics) but internally they're connecter on the adapter PCB anyway, so this should make no difference, regardless.

No, I didn't connect +5V either, apparently there's a 3.3V regulator on the adapter itself to allow using it with 5V hosts - not the case for STM32 nor LPC17.

Be back in a few,

Adrien

Thank you for your insights- i think i did it right, connecting a cable to the card is well documented and the different pin names are easily found on the web. i swapped miso and mosi but no result. I ll solder a female header to the cable and test the spare parts. One resistor looks out of place on this one. I ll let you know..

Thank you for your insights- i think i did it right, connecting a cable to the card is well documented and the different pin names are easily found on the web. i swapped miso and mosi but no result. I ll solder a female header to the cable and test the spare parts. One resistor looks out of place on this one. I ll let you know..

Martijn

here's an attempt of an ASCII art of the connections as well as the cable itself. Please note that as mentioned earlier I replaced the DIL by an (angled) SIL so the numbers are 1 to 8, not 1 to 16 (as it's on your's), consider these more a 'row number' than the actual pin number:

LPC17 J16                     SD Card

header                        SIL

(top)                         (top)

1  2     1  (Vss) - 1 (GND)    1

----     2  (Vss) - 8 (GND)    o-o- (GND)

|o  o|    3  (Vdd) - 2 (3.3V)   o-o- (3.3V)

|o  o|    4  (Vdd) - NC         o-o- (5V)

[ o  o|    5  (SI)  - 7 (MISO)   o-o- (CS)

|o  o|    6  (SO)  - 5 (MOSI)   o-o- (MOSI)

|o  o|    7  (SC)  - NC         o-o- (SCK)

----     8  (SC)  - 6 (SCK)    o-o- (MISO)

9 10     9  (RC2) - NC         o-o- (GND)

10 (RC1) - 4 (CS)     8

For clarification please take a look at the following (crappy iPhone) image of the SD adapter cable. The top-most cable (red-striped, actually) is pin 1 on J16.

As for the resistor(s) I guess that these act (in accordance with TK's note on the SDC schematics) as voltage dividers in case you're using 5V instead of 3.3V, so unless it causes short it shouldn't really matter. But that's just my guess, not confirmed and definitely not to be taken for granted.

Hope you get it working soon!

Adrien

post-3601-0-10290900-1349378984_thumb.jp

Edited by freddy

Hope you get it working soon!

Adrien

D'akujem moc! Now it works like a charm. In my first try, I connected RC2 instead of RC1. And i had figured out the links between DO/DI & MISO & MOSI incorrectly. Thank you for helping me out! Have you posted on your projects? I'd love to see them.

And for all the other newbs around: the config in the post above is correct!

D'akujem moc! Now it works like a charm. In my first try, I connected RC2 instead of RC1. And i had figured out the links between DO/DI & MISO & MOSI incorrectly. Thank you for helping me out! Have you posted on your projects? I'd love to see them.

And for all the other newbs around: the config in the post above is correct!

Martijn,

u bent van harte welkom! :rolleyes:

As for the projects, currently I'm finishing my first SEQv4, I intent do document the build of the second one considering the first one being a sort of prototype for me. Besides that it's MB6582, building an old SIDv1 (for 3 years now, case is usually the biggest issue for me) and bunch of assorted modules - some FMs, an ancient MIDIbox8 build back in 2001, a non-MB TR-9090 etc. Unfortunately, I'm more into electronics than into music but hopefully this will change with the new shiny SEQ :-)

Glad I could help, cheers,

Adrien