Ways to validate SID?

Altitude

I am testing a batch for a friend and was wondering what are peoples criteria for checking out if a SID is good or not? My 6582 has 6582 chips and the ones he sent me are all 6581s so I am using just a core and a R3A sid board to test with.

I'm looking for a way to test the filter but cant seem to get the chip to respond to CC 4 and 5

Edited by Altitude

i tested with envelope on cutoff, trying resonance too, then see if the different waveforms work, and noise.

i also tested the global vca adsr, but that always worked.

i believe in 6581 it's normal that not all MB waveform mixes work but i really don't know for sure without reading everything again.

I am testing a batch for a friend and was wondering what are peoples criteria for checking out if a SID is good or not? My 6582 has 6582 chips and the ones he sent me are all 6581s so I am using just a core and a R3A sid board to test with.

I'm looking for a way to test the filter but cant seem to get the chip to respond to CC 4 and 5

Don't forget to supply the 6581's with 12v (instead of 9v like your 6582's) and use the correct capacitor values, I think 470pf? for the 6581's filter. Also upload the firmware for 6581 so that the filter is calibrated properly.

Hi

In addition to the above, also remember that the 6581 has a very week/poor resonance so don’t be too concerned it your resonance sweep appears to do very little.

Good luck..

Paul

London

www.punkdisco.co.uk

Text SLUT to: 29 7 29 7

Here’s the video: www.youtu.be/Zl0PTZKy7fg

I guess a better question is how do i validate the filter portion is NOT broken. The chips that I have to to test look old, they havent been desoldered but the underside looks a little suspicious (made in Korea? never seen those) and have a QC sticker that is way newer than the chip. I dont really have an objective test procedure, the chips all behave the same way on the rig but not like the 6582s I have in my box. This isnt the first time i've done this for ppl but my concern is that I dont know if I am really testing enough, I've come across enough bad sid chips and a bad one is pretty obvious and I can tell if it works or not but the definition of "works" is what I am concerned with. My experience so far has been with the newer chips (8580/6582) and its become hard to distinguish "bad" from "flawed" with the older chips

Edited by Altitude

i'm not entirely sure either.

i guess it's ok if there's no sound with cutoff 000 and the envelopes work and resonance have an effect.

but there's no reference i'm aware of. would be good to know, though

yeah i've also tested more newer type chips.

my 6581 had massive problems which got better when i powered them with 12V (doh) but i wasn't able to tell either if they are fully working or even if i've tested enough aspects. some of mine had problems with osc waveforms, i think one with a not working cutoff control. so i bought a couple more last year to be sure i have enough for my 6582.

but the 6581 all sound 'kinda' similar. there's a bigger difference in sound with a 6581 R4AR.