What does the Wavetable effect exactly?

lazerbeat

There is a fair chance im being really stupid here but I can't work out what the wave table effects.

As far as I can tell WT is "above" instrument level and there isn`t a setting to specify if instruments are affected by the wave table or not as with EG5.

But based on this text from the manual, there is one WT per instrument?

"A single instrument can control one or more voices (up to 6), it provides: A 32-step wavetable sequencer with up to 500 Hz play rate which can be assigned to 3 CC sound parameters"

Can someone explain just how silly im being?

Thanks!

Edited by lazerbeat

Not sure if this applies here, but normally in a synth a wavetabe contains the waveforms that the synth can use in it´s oscillators. So rather than calculating a sine or triangle wave in a given frequency the waveform is played back from the wavetable at a sample rate specified by the desired pitch. The wavetable will contain many different waveforms that can be switched from one to the other by modulation parameters.

At least that´s how as faar as i know the "classic" wavetable oscillator is working.

Never built a MBFM, so it is possible that i am missleading you right now since wavetable is a term that can be used in different context.

As far as I know it works a little different in the MBFM (and MBSID) compared to "real" wavetable synths. A real wavtable synth uses more or less a recorded "sample" of a wave, and uses that to make sound, which can then be altered in the classic ways of synthesis (subtractive, additive, etc.).

The wavetables in MBFM (and MBSID) are - as far as I know - patterns which tell the oscillator (or operator, give the thing a name) to change to a specific waveform after a specific (very short) time interval. For example you can use a wavetable to altenate between saw and pulse every step; it will sound different from a regular saw or regular pulse. It will not use samples.

Sorry! I just re read that first post it was pretty vague. I know what the wave table is, but I cant work out if there is one wave table for all instruments (which seems a bit strange) or if there is one wavetable per instrument, how I access it.

Each instrument has it's own wavetable (which is nothing else than a sequencer which is either synchronized to the MIDI tempo, or which is freerunning).

You can access (resp. edit) it in the WT page.

Note that the wavetable is stored in the patch. Which means: instruments which play the same patch will also play the same wavetable!

Best Regards, Thorsten.