"pop"-noise when changing patches

Hackemoff

Hi,

I just bought a MIDIbox SID v1 at an auction, sold as-is.

It works fine, but when I change patches on it I always hear a loud short "pop"-noise.

It is the same whether I change it with the units encoder or via "program change"-message via MIDI.

Could anyone help me to find out what is wrong?

P.S. I will upgrade it to V2 as soon as I find the time

Thanks for your replies!

Hmm... I´m a little bit disappointed to hear this actually.

It doesn´t help that my SID-chip has the VCA "leakage" bug as well, but a gate at the sound output will solve that.

The problem is that my encoder for selecting patches is very "unstable", so I hear a lot of "popping" before I reach my desired patch. I found some threads about this problem at this forum, but I don´t know which "cure" I should use.

I´m ... disappointed ... that my SID-chip has the VCA "leakage" bug

Good luck finding one that doesn't have the VCA bug. In fact, let us know when you do, that would be huge news :wink:

The problem is that my encoder for selecting patches is very "unstable", so I hear a lot of "popping" before I reach my desired patch. I found some threads about this problem at this forum, but I don´t know which "cure" I should use.

Does your encoder skip forward and backward more steps than you would expect from a single "click"? In that case it could be as easy as changing the encoder type in the configuration file.

Good luck finding one that doesn't have the VCA bug. In fact, let us know when you do, that would be huge news :wink:

Does your encoder skip forward and backward more steps than you would expect from a single "click"? In that case it could be as easy as changing the encoder type in the configuration file.

Hehe, OK, just thought I read somewhere that this was solved in the later revisions.

Yes, but I really don´t understand what this "configuration file" is? Do I need to reprogram the PIC? (I know this is a "lazy" question, since I probably can find the answer myself, but I didn´t find it at a quick search)

Edited by Hackemoff

Yes, but I really don´t understand what this "configuration file" is? Do I need to reprogram the PIC? (I know this is a "lazy" question, since I probably can find the answer myself, but I didn´t find it at a quick search)

You need to change the configuration file and upload it to the PIC, but you don't need to remove the PIC from the device since the programming routine is already in the OS.

Start here: http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=encoders (bottom of the page "Detent types");

From the MIOS FAQ: How do I modify the application code and build a new .syx file? -> Follow the instructions which are given in the “main.asm†file.