Case Build Issues...

cosmosuave

I have built a case for my SEQV4 out of 1/2" birch ply with threaded inserts to attach the control panel (Julian's ) and the issue is the holes don't line up and I do not want to elongate holes on the control panel... There is not much room for error as all you have to work with is about 3 to 4 mm of aluminum and wood as the edge of the pcb is only 3 or 4 mm from the edge of the aluminum control panel... 

I am ready to scrap the case after investing several hours of work into it.. Basically I want a case that will be rackmount and desktop those of you that have Julians control panel what did you use for a case? Is there a ponoko case out there for it... I am pretty much complete on my project except for the case...

Thanks..

Brian

Brian,

What issues are you having, exactly?

The hole spacing on the panel is according to Wilba's original files, and will be the same as any other panel cut with the same files - are you using his pcb layout, or another?

Julian

Let's see if I can represent this via ascii... Nothing that you have done Julian... Imagine looking down at the underside on the panel with the PCB control surface attached.... That space between these two is only a couple of millimeters which makes it hard to mount to the wood in my case.... If I had pics it would be easier to explain.. I think I am gonna have to go back to the drawing board and redesign my case...

PCB EDGE------>|   |<---------Front Panel outside edge

Can you take the whole lot up from the base of the case?

So, from bottom to top, it would be - 

bolt head on wooden base, with thread pointing up toward the inside of the case

wooden base

threaded spacers, with the bolt from the bottom screwed into them - these would need to be long enough to take another bolt from the other side also

then the pcb

then a non-threaded spacer

then the top panel

then a nice looking bolt, that goes down, through the panel, through the non-threadeed spacer, through the pcb, and into the same threadded spacer as the bolt from the base comes into

Assuming your case edges were nice and rigid, and the case itself was not very weighty, would this be sufficient?

post-5116-0-70876800-1399312739_thumb.jpI am just gonna start from scratch again... Thanks for the replies...

See in the pic where it has been circled this is where I am playing with a 3mm surface to mount to a case or I should scrap using those holes and use the 2 at each end....

Edited by cosmosuave

I see your issue now.

Im not sure how possible its going to be with wood.

With metal - 

Imagine a U section, but with the tops of the U lipped over, so you get this kind of shape - 

[_]

...but all out of one bit of metal.  Say 0.8mm mild steel.

That's almost a diy bending job.  You could then 'block' the ends with chunks of wood.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...