Building a MIDIbox SEQ V4 (Wilba Control Surface) - Photo Tutorial

Hawkeye

Thanks for the warning, Norbert!

You are right - i just compared the datasheets!

Fortunately, the Alps EC12 encoders work fine on the SEQV4 CS when using DETENTED1 as an encoder type in the MBSEQ_HW.V4 configuration file. (They also work fine on fairlightiis LED-Ring boards).

Can upload a demonstration video, if requested! :-)

Many greets!

Peter

Edited by Hawkeye

• 2 weeks later...

And here is the promised small test video :-)

Please excuse the confusion - my other SEQ V4 has a completely different key/button layout - hehe, hope you enjoy my slight navigation issues nevertheless! :smile:

Unfortunately, i lost forum/email contact with brackets - or he has lost interest in the sequencer, well that´s how it goes...

Edit: it has now been sold to "before" - thanks a lot and enjoy! Hope to see the MBSEQ in this thread, once it is finished! :-)

Thanks for reading this thread, and for all your feedback!

Have a great time with your SEQ V4s! :-)

Many greets,

Peter

Edited by Hawkeye

• 4 months later...

You´re welcome!

Step 8 contains two links to suitable encoders. The "pushable" 12mm encoders from Alps do need pinbending, though. It will fit with a bit of patience, but of course, 16mm encoders are easier to install. Am currently building a MIDIbox NG with these 12mm encoders and they work really well, also in 16mm slots, so nothing too much to worry about!

Here´s the link again:

http://www.reichelt.de/Rotary-Pulse-Encoder/STEC12E08/3//index.html?ACTION=3&GROUPID=3714&ARTICLE=73923&SHOW=1&OFFSET=16

Many greets,

Peter

• 5 months later...

Hi Hawkeye,  Thanks a lot for this great howto.  i would like to request on edit:

The 10 pin socket is soldered mirrored on the wilba pcb, this means if you make a flatcable the right way that it won't work.

So the socket should be connected 180 degrees flipped if you solder it on the back.

Or maybe i am wrong...  one question obout the flipped LED, i didn't flip it and it works.. how can this be possible? should i still flip it?

Anyway you howto is verymuch appriciated, thansk a mil :)

Thx, flyweight :-)

I think i just rotated the polarity protection notch of the socket, that was soldered on the backside by 180° and built a standard cable* - but I am not sure, it has been a while :-) Note, that the pinout of the serial connection is also quite symmetric, that's maybe why it worked. I remember to have thought about the step for a few minutes back then, and was convinced, it was fine :-)

The LED #31 should be rotated, it is possible, that it lights up, when it is not rotated, but it will likely mess up the LED matrix and compromise other LEDs...

EDIT: * or built the cable with one plug 180° rotated

Have a great time!

Many greets,

Peter

Edited by Hawkeye

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

A small update to the encoder recommendation:

In some cases, the Alps 12mm encoders may need to have the middle and right pins (when looked at from above) crossed and DETENTED1 does not work properly. This operation can be done easily by clipping of the metal pins and soldering two crossed wires. Norbim1 was totally right!

The funny thing: No problems occur with the old LPC17 board. And it is quite usable with the STM32F4 board, but sometimes, the display "jumps back a step" after turning an encoder counterclockwise. Anyone, that has soldered in these encoders and is using DETENTED1 is encouraged to test it:

In the main menu, scroll right with the menu encoder, then scroll left. After reaching the leftmost menu point, sometimes, the cursor will jump back to the second menu item. If this is the case, a little soldering action solves the problem!

Sorry for the inconvenience!

Bye,

Peter

• 1 month later...

Has anyone else verified that this happens with Detented 1 without crossing the pins?

Norbim1 said this;

16mm types: A B Common (this is what the CS was prepared for)

- 12mm types: A Common B

In the Alps Datasheet I see this;

alps12mm.jpg.7ed2937cc636d7a94d4fa9cdb16

Looks like A B Common to me.

Doh, looks like he was right.

Selection_002.png.b0d342b4c501892a9bbab3

A wiring I will go...

Edited by mongrol

I've got some builds (e.g. old LPC17 based SEQ and the MBProgramma with Fairlightiiis encoder boards) working 100% alright with DETENTED1 and non-crossed 12mm encoder pins - somehow this works, as the encoder pulses are correctly recognized by MIOS.

But recently, I ran into slight (almost unnoticable, but present) problems with a STM32F4 and the MBSEQ. That's why I remembered faintly norbim1's statement from a while back, tried the "pinswap" and can now only give the general advice to build it correctly from the beginning :-)

Many greets,

Peter