Led Matrix for older PIC cores in C

eliasaudio

Of course, it's possible to create a LED matrix with a PIC18F in C.

Unfortunately there is no simple example available, only complex examples like this one: http://svnmios.midibox.org/listing.php?repname=svn.mios&path=%2Ftrunk%2Fapps%2Fcontrollers%2Fmidibox_mm%2F&#

(see SR_Service_Prepare() function in src/main.c and the appr. code in src/mm_vpot.c)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Nice !

I'm also very interested in creating a LED matrix with a PIC18F in C !

I'll try to digest the code, and propose a stripped down version when i find some time.

Also i'm curious to know if a 16x16 leds is doable, and what would be the best hardware approach to do so ?

Any ideas are very welcome :)

Yes, 16x16 matrices can be handled in C w/o problems, especially because the actual DOUT transfers are handled by MIOS8 in background with an optimized assembly based routine.

The mechanism is always the same: SR_Service_Prepare() will be called before the SRIO scan (each mS)

In this function, increment a counter variable on each cycle, reset to 0 once it reaches 16

Transfer the new pattern (which corresponds to the counter and is ideally stored in an array) via MIOS_DOUT_SRSet

Please note: a 16x16 LED matrix means that the 16 LED rows will only be visible for 6.25% of the time - the brightness won't be optimal!

It's better to implement two 8x16 matrices instead (counter from 0..7)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

• 2 months later...