desoldering a 6581 with a heat gun - bad idea?

thatguy

I havent done that chip specifically, but I use a desoldering tool from Hakko, it's the 808 (how could anything called an 808 be bad!!!!!)  Its a great tool, you will wish you never bothered with Desolder Braids, or little pumps etc.....   I think it is about $200, but if you can get yourself $50 chips with it, it will be paid off in no time.  I originally got it to salvage all the compnents off a battery etched Poly6 PCB.  You will never go back!!!!!  Only other good option is a whole desolder station, but they can be expensive for a good one.

Should be possible with a good high-powered desoldering vaccum pump and an iron set to mild temperatures (don´t heat up a pin for more than a few seconds, then vacuum it, repeat..., it may be a lenghty process). Which C64 model had the SIDs soldered to its mainboard?

Many greets,

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

BTW the Hakko 808 has been discontinued...

now they have the FR300

http://www.hakko.com/english/products/hakko_fr300.html

According to reviews it's better (minus one or two things)

I just picked up one and have no complaints, except they are closer to $300 not 200 unfortunately.

I would trust this thing to pull out old SIDs.

• 3 weeks later...

Just my bit of knowledge on the subject in case anyone else has questions.

Reflow stations are not meant for THM (through hole mount) components. Additionally they type of solder used when the C64 was produced takes more heat to reflow. Using hot-air/reflow station will produce excess non-localized heat that will damage the chip and other surrounding components. 

The absolute best way to remove any THM part is to apply a decent but not excessive amount of flux and use a desoldering tool. You can use an iron and solder sucker but that is far less effective than a good desoldering station. A less expensive alternative to the FR-300 is the Aoyue 474A++. In the Xbox360 repair world we use Aoyue products a lot because their rework station is far less expensive than others and so far the quality has been outstanding.

My workbench consists of a Aoyue 474A++  and a Aoyue 968A+