Change MIDI pair numbering?

FlavioB

Hi there.

I got a splendid SEQ V4 (built by =FFW=>) and I found out that I got the MIDI pair numbering "inverted": instead of being (from right to left, back panel) 4-3-2-1 they are 2-1-4-3

Is there any way to change the order without having to open up the case and swap cables?

Thanks,
Flavio.

If you look at the jumper description for J11e on the MIDI IO page (http://www.ucapps.de/index.html?page=mbhp_iic_midi.html), you'll see that the midi inputs are directly pinned out from the core board.  So, most likely your cable (or whatever you have running off of J11e to connect your IOs) probably has a few mixed up pins.  You should be able to just rearrange the pins and fix your problem.

Edited by borfo

18 hours ago, eptheca said:

In the file  seq_midi_port.c in the source files you can change the names

save - compile - upload 

Hi eptheca: as I'm very newbie here, can you guide me through? I wouldn't want to open up my MIDIBox to make a hardware change...

12 hours ago, borfo said:

If you look at the jumper description for J11e on the MIDI IO page (http://www.ucapps.de/index.html?page=mbhp_iic_midi.html), you'll see that the midi inputs are directly pinned out from the core board.  So, most likely your cable (or whatever you have running off of J11e to connect your IOs) probably has a few mixed up pins.  You should be able to just rearrange the pins and fix your problem.

Hi borfo - maybe I'm blind, but I didn't find any J11e in the page you linked...

Anyway, I'd prefer not to have to open up my MIDIBox...

Thanks all!

Flavio.

The best would be to change this in hardware where the fault is. You can change the name in software, but the order would be wrong. You can call MIDIOUT 2 for 1 and 1 for 2, but the order in the menu would be MIDI OUT 2, MIDI OUT 1, MIDI OUT 4 MIDI OUT 3.

Is it just the labeling on the back panel?

Could you provide photos? Is the the beautiful maroon wood case?

Anyway, maybe =FFW=> is the right person to help here ;)

I agree with eptheca, hardware change is better than changing the code. (If we have the correct diagnosis, of course.) I'm afraid you will have to open up the box, unless you can sort it out with =FFW=>.

I think borfo linked to the wrong page in his reply. Here's the page for the MIDI I/O board. J11E is a header on the core board (STM32F4) which connects to the MIDI I/O board (see this page and this schematic (pdf) for the core; in the schematic, connector J11E is in the top middle).

The connection from the core's J11E to the MIDI I/O board is pretty straightforward: J11E has pins named MI1, MI2 (=midi in 1, midi in 2), MO1, MO2 (=midi out 1, midi out 2) etc., and the MIDI I/O board has the connector J1 with pins with the matching names. So J11E pin called MI1 should be connected to MIDI I/O board J1's MI1.

Anyway, if your box uses ribbon cable (as seems to be the case), there should be no problem. In fact, looking at the order of the ports you gave (instead of 4-3-2-1, they are 2-1-4-3), it could be really simple: There's two MIDI I/O boards inside the case, and they might just be placed the wrong way, so that the board with ports 2-1 is where the board with ports 4-3 should be. If this is the case, you need to open the box and switch the places of the MIDI I/O boards (without changing the ribbon cable or other cable connections). Hopefully the ribbon cable is long enough though.

Actually it looks correct to me from the photos. The cable from J11E on the core goes to J1 of the MIDI I/O module to the right seen from the back panel and is labelled MIDI I/O 1, and the ports are labelled IN A, OUT A, IN B, OUT B. Then the cable goes from J2 of the first to J1 of the second that is to the left of the first still seen from the back.

That is how mine are connected as well. The only difference is that mine are ordered from left to right 

I am not sure what is wrong?

It all looks very neat & tidy. I don't think =FFW=> has messed up, it's excellent craftsmanship.

Is this the unit in question? It's indeed a premium build!

Are you sure you are not just reading the labeling wrong?

From what I can see, it's correct according to the labeling. The only thing "weird" is the order of the groups of MIDI I/O and MIDI OUTS and the font.

This is how it should show up in the menu according to the wiring and labeling:

large.Premium_SEQ.jpg.8d9595987767f5f8ac

4 hours ago, eptheca said:

I am not sure what is wrong?

It all looks very neat & tidy. I don't think =FFW=> has messed up, it's excellent craftsmanship.

Is this the unit in question? It's indeed a premium build!

Are you sure you are not just reading the labeling wrong?

From what I can see, it's correct according to the labeling. The only thing "weird" is the order of the groups of MIDI I/O and MIDI OUTS and the font.

This is how it should show up in the menu according to the wiring and labeling:

large.Premium_SEQ.jpg.8d9595987767f5f8ac

Hi!

Yes, it is that machine indeed! And yes, the ports are mapped as you see in the picture. What is confusing me, is the "non-linearity": the MIDI out ports on the left are nicely put in sequence (1-2-3-4). But then I'd expect IN1-OUT1, IN2-OUT2, IN3-OUT3, IN4-OUT4 - this is what's annoying me. Of course I can read "MIDI IO 1" and "MIDI IO 2" but then again: it makes it weird with that numbering. I could've been happy also with having 4321 instead of 1234 - just not having them "mixed up" 3412...

What do you guys suggest now?

F.

15 hours ago, FlavioB said:

Hi borfo - maybe I'm blind, but I didn't find any J11e in the page you linked...

You are not blind.  Instead, I am an idiot and linked the wrong page as someone already pointed out.

But now that I see the pictures of your box it looks like everything is as it should be - if the numbering seems weird to you now it probably won't take long to get used to it.  Or if you wanted to, you could swap the two I/O boards, but then the back panel labelling would be wrong and you say you don't want to open the box...

Fancy work on the build too.

I got more than a dozen devices, and as of today I was using MOTU MIDI Express 128 with "software routing" done on my MacBook Pro. Then I bought 2x MP-88 because I wanted to start becoming "computer-independent" (using it only for recording/editing purposes). I love having each synth connected with both IN and OUT so that it's easy to backup/restore via SysEx.

With my SEQ V4 I got 8 OUTs, 4 of which are paired with INs - I'll see what I can do. Maybe I just make 4 (or 8) separated output chains and at least one input to be able to record "live" from my master keyboard. In the end, I only need both IN&OUT with my computer (and only when I need to backup/restore).

I guess I'll be fine...

Thanks,
F.

On 17.5.2017 at 10:52 PM, EsotericLabs said:

I guess so. And your computer will use MIDI over USB of course. You'll have 4x16 channels of midi between the SEQ and your computer, so you can run some warez along your gear.  Have fun!

Gosh! Never thought about "MIDI over USB"! Is it working ok? Does it have downsides? Pros&Cons?