Midibox Drum Triggers

drumwide

Hello All,

It's been a while since my last post. I am in the process of making an application to interface piezo triggers to MIOS. The triggers will be connected to a modified version of the analog side of admir's circuit.This circuit is complete and in the testing phase,and I am now working on the code.The application will be released as a stand alone application first and then I will attempt to implement it into the MB64 code,so the triggers can replace some of the pots.If anyone has interests or ideas please let me know.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, cool. I had those naked ones in my mind.

If you use those buzzers, pulling out the piezo, it's also available @ Reichelt (here in Germany).  ;D

THNX!!

Looking forward...

Ideas: Aftertouch implementing (sending the velocity with the note on and after that aftertouch)? Would be cool...

I don't think those piezo's can send aftertouch, as they need a percussive hit, to generate a voltage spike. Unless the aftertouch was 'fake' i.e. added by the microcontroller after each hit.

Nope. They just need that for high voltages (so for the velocity). If you have a changing pressure, the voltage changes, too, but in a veeery small amount (and only changes linear to the *variation* of that pressure - not directly linear to the pressure itself) .

Really don't know if you can use that or even if its worth it... was just an idea ...  :)

Midibox Drum Triggers working now. Still need some tweaks on the software and hardware sides but it is coming along nicely(thanks to TK's drum trigger driver).

I wan't to tweak it a little more before the first release.

I haven't started the implementation for MB64 yet but, Thorsten has made his code very easy to understand. So maybe it won't take me to long to get a working version up and running.

;D  drumwide all smiles about MB drums!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Will each module employ a scalable, slave-core model, like the MF module?

8 triggers per slave core?

I am very excited about this one. ;)

Yes the trigger to analog interface(buffer circuit) will handle only 8 inputs right now. So if you used 8 slave modules you can get 64 triggers to the core in muxed mode. Using the ainx4 modules.

I haven't tested this yet as I am only in the first phases of development.But in theory this is how it works.

Hey, drumwide,

Yes the trigger to analog interface(buffer circuit) will handle only 8 inputs right now. So if you used 8 slave modules you can get 64 triggers to the core in muxed mode. Using the ainx4 modules.

Why don't you post the schematics, so we can discuss it...

PS. My URL changed, bookmark this one:

http://personal.telefonica.terra.es/web/admir/

Regards,

Admir.

Has there been any ideas on making the triggers velocity sensitive? I was originally planning to split my output line between 1 AIN and 1 DIN (DIN for trigger, AIN for velocity level). As of now I am not shure if there will be any problems but I am hoping to try it out soon.  I Hope this idea will help out.  

-Sephult

Hey, drumwide,

Why don't you post the schematics, so we can discuss it...

I will post the eagle .brd file and the code as soon as I find a place to put it(what server).I have no website.If any one would like a copy before I get it posted email me:

dwide.dwide@gmail.com

SEPHULT:    Yes the triggers will be velocity sensitive.

STEVEN_C:   Yes the sensitivity is set by the amount of electricity provided by the piezo.

PAY_C:    No, din is required, but you need the buffer circuit to amplify the voltage of the piezo and to hold it long enough for the ain to measure it.

My testing methods are not the greatest in the world so progress is slow ,but I am in the process of making more triggers so to update you all:

I only have two triggers working now. both are working in the midibox drum trigger application and in the addin for the midibox64.As I get more triggers made I will test

more. The first version of the midibox drum triggers (v1.5) is running on MIOS 1.5 and has no bells and whistles(menus,encoders,buttons,or anything).the velocity seems to work fine after a little adjustment to the values of risng threshhold.

Will post more ASAP :D

Edited by drumwide

Hi all,

Just to clarify:

Digital inputs are not needed, everything is done with analog inputs.

BUT, because of low sampling rate (~200us per channel), the sample-and-hold circuit is needed.

Here you have two choices:

1. complicate your life and have a true S&H with reset and those things (2 OP-AMP per channel + 1 analog switch - as minimum), or

2. have a low-pass filter (something like in my design) to iron the signal a little.

I'm really not sure what will be needed in this particular case, that's why I'll try to help Thorsten to improve ADC speed somehow ;-) It will be important when you start testing fast rolls, belive me.

Lastly, but not less important, a BIG THANKS to Thorsten, this time for provding me a server space for eDrum design, this will be my main site from now:

http://edrum.midibox.org/

Regards,

Admir.