Sammich FM

I'm a total noob building a sammichFM. Finished all the soldering. All voltage tests OK, except that pin 13 socket on IC3 socket of the control PCB (74HC595) is not connected to ground as it is supposed to be referring to the build guide. I re-soldered the joint, but still no difference. 

Should I simply run a jumper wire on the back of the PCB or am I missing something? Any other tests I should run or components I should look at?  

Edited by HybrisBehemoth

Pin 13 is /OE, so active-low output enable. It must have a connection to 0V/ground for the outputs to function. If there are other points already connected to 0V (i.e. it is not an interconnection or dry solder joint problem and somehow the plating is damaged ), then the right idea is to run a jumper wire. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the help. I ended up soldering a jumper wire to ground.

After passing the voltage checks as in the build manual, I installed the ICs (except banksticks) and turned on the power.

Pause... no smoke or smell of burning components. So far, so good.

At first the LEDs wouldn't light up. But after some wiggling of the MIDI-cables they came on.

After installing MIOS Studio 2.4.6 and setting MIDI in and out the upload requests keep ticking-in all the time that the sammichFM is connected. After pressing "Query" I do get the correct message that the unit is up & running. I upload the midibox_fm_v1_4i, which seems to be working;

upload of 25088 bytes completed after 16.55s (1.48 kb/s)

But the unit isn't rebooting after that as its supposed to. The screen is on but still just showing the row of rectangles. And the LEDs are all off. If I press "query" I get the message that "Bootloader is up & running!". The requests "f0 00 00 7e 40 00 01 f7" keep ticking-in in the top left window. If I connect audio out its giving of some low random static noise.

Suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance for any help.

MIOS Studio 23.07.18.png

Thank you for the input and sorry for being a total noob and not reading the MIDI troubleshooting before posting. :blush:

Got the software up and running now and I get sound out of the sammichFM. Its just really low and with a lot of static noise. Is this a power supply issue or are there other possible explanations?

Also: on the main PCB there are headers "JPB" in the top right corner. What are those for?

Generally quite good soldering but look for example at the resistor joints below the sandwich icon (fourth picture). Some could be cold, i.e. the fillet does not bond to the PTH properly.

If the voltages check out, I'd also suggest to install the bankstick ICs and load the default presets. I don't know how the storage works without, plus there may be some inputs left floating. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi Hybris . 

I have same problem you had with the sammichFM  ( isn't rebooting)  ou resolve ,

I would like to know how you did because im stuck There ! You Say midi troubleshooting ,I read it but didn't find the solution . 

Help would be welcome ., cheers 

After installing MIOS Studio 2.4.6 and setting MIDI in and out the upload requests keep ticking-in all the time that the sammichFM is connected. After pressing "Query" I do get the correct message that the unit is up & running. I upload the midibox_fm_v1_4i, which seems to be working;

upload of 25088 bytes completed after 16.55s (1.48 kb/s)

But the unit isn't rebooting after that as its supposed to. The screen is on but still just showing the row of rectangles. And the LEDs are all off. If I press "query" I get the message that "Bootloader is up & running!". The requests "f0 00 00 7e 40 00 01 f7" keep ticking-in in the top left window. If I connect audio out its giving of some low random static noise.