MIDIbox of the week (MIDIbox SID of PayC)

TK.

First of all: THNX ALOT!  ;D

BTW: The background of the third pic is my analoge modular synthi (Formant Pro) - which I am *veeery* proud of... 8) - it was my very first DIY project!

Wow, awesome!!

PayC, how did you build the panel? Is it painted plexiglas?

It´s a little tricky (I´ll perhaps write a tutorial about that): I mainly use plastic plates (3mm) and drill that stuff. Then I amke my design as a normal pic and print it on photo paper (not to glossy anyhow). To conserve it, I put a transparent color layer over it (here the mate one, the glossy one is on my MB64 - the mate one makes the black a little lighter but it´s more convenient for the eyes). I put two sided glue band (how the hell is the english word for that ?!?) on the non-printed side (mainly the edges and the places where many holes will be). Putting it on the plastic. Square holes (LCD) are then just cut out with an scalpel (from the plastic side to keep the plastic unscratched). Round holes are (hold tight!) cut out from the paper side with a new (!!) wood driller drilling the wrong way (!!) at a very high speed. You have to be veeeery desperate with that (one error and the whole thing looks shitty) but the paper gets cut very nicely that way.

For the last touch I get eddings in the colors the case is (red & black this time) and paint the edges with it, so no white paper is anywhere (especially the LED holes need that).

I know: It´s a bit of work & practice, but this way you can make *ANY* frontplate design you would like to have (put a nice girly there, if you like to).

@arumblack: Not up to now... it looks cool, but up to now I´m having little problems (the master SID changes the sound randomly after a few mins). It´s not a big one, but it´s nerving. The sound itself is awesome and quite hell of a good partner for the virus!  :D

@LO: DAMMIT you dont know how right you are! Phew!!! A few centimeters less and ...

@Wilba: Thnx! Yeah, the details are cool. Three things which are not coming out to good on the photos: Every section (LFO ENV and so on) is printed in the background in very big fonts (check the ENV section - there you see it). Second the envelopes are painted drectly behind the encs (perhaps you can see a blink of it on the third photo LFO section). Third (but you can see that) the waveforms are painted as waveforms! Not writing it out! I like to see that stuff as I hear it!  ;)

If you want to, I can send you the original pics (theyre way bigger) or put them on the portal so you can zoom in.

Greets, beats & peace!!

/modify: @wilba again: Oooops, forgot: On the far left: The switch is a three way one for changing the Bankstick from Internal (top position), none (middle) and External (down there). Just to have something like a preset bank inside there and some user banks in those D-SUB Connectors.

Those two LEDs are just MIDI In and Out ones.

And those two pots are for the LCD (contrast and backlight brightness - so if you change the angle of view to the LCD you can easily adapt it).

Greets again!

First of all: THNX ALOT!  ;D

BTW: The background of the third pic is my analoge modular synthi (Formant Pro) - which I am *veeery* proud of... 8) - it was my very first DIY project!

Wow, awesome!!

PayC, how did you build the panel? Is it painted plexiglas?

It´s a little tricky (I´ll perhaps write a tutorial about that): I mainly use plastic plates (3mm) and drill that stuff. Then I amke my design as a normal pic and print it on photo paper (not to glossy anyhow). To conserve it, I put a transparent color layer over it (here the mate one, the glossy one is on my MB64 - the mate one makes the black a little lighter but it´s more convenient for the eyes). I put two sided glue band (how the hell is the english word for that ?!?) on the non-printed side (mainly the edges and the places where many holes will be). Putting it on the plastic. Square holes (LCD) are then just cut out with an scalpel (from the plastic side to keep the plastic unscratched). Round holes are (hold tight!) cut out from the paper side with a new (!!) wood driller drilling the wrong way (!!) at a very high speed. You have to be veeeery desperate with that (one error and the whole thing looks shitty) but the paper gets cut very nicely that way.

For the last touch I get eddings in the colors the case is (red & black this time) and paint the edges with it, so no white paper is anywhere (especially the LED holes need that).

I know: It´s a bit of work & practice, but this way you can make *ANY* frontplate design you would like to have (put a nice girly there, if you like to).

@arumblack: Not up to now... it looks cool, but up to now I´m having little problems (the master SID changes the sound randomly after a few mins). It´s not a big one, but it´s nerving. The sound itself is awesome and quite hell of a good partner for the virus!  :D

@LO: DAMMIT you dont know how right you are! Phew!!! A few centimeters less and ...

@Wilba: Thnx! Yeah, the details are cool. Three things which are not coming out to good on the photos: Every section (LFO ENV and so on) is printed in the background in very big fonts (check the ENV section - there you see it). Second the envelopes are painted drectly behind the encs (perhaps you can see a blink of it on the third photo LFO section). Third (but you can see that) the waveforms are painted as waveforms! Not writing it out! I like to see that stuff as I hear it!  ;)

If you want to, I can send you the original pics (theyre way bigger) or put them on the portal so you can zoom in.

Greets, beats & peace!!

/modify: @wilba again: Oooops, forgot: On the far left: The switch is a three way one for changing the Bankstick from Internal (top position), none (middle) and External (down there). Just to have something like a preset bank inside there and some user banks in those D-SUB Connectors.

Those two LEDs are just MIDI In and Out ones.

And those two pots are for the LCD (contrast and backlight brightness - so if you change the angle of view to the LCD you can easily adapt it).

Greets again!

• 1 month later...

Fantastic! Congrats!!

The memory switch is also a very nice concept!!

Just want to ask: why did you use a 3 way switch and not a 2-way one (only internal - external memory)?

Also how did you make the rack case?

Best regards

Dimitris

Thanks again and again  :D

3 way switch:

Two reasons: First, so that I still can access the internal memory (which isn't to neccesary but what the heck...) and second (more important): I realized that sometimes (if you switch to fast from one bankstick to the other and back) the switched BS is not recognized correctly and is formatted. To prevent this I have no BS in the middle, so that I first switch to the middle, wait a sec and then switch to the other BS.

The case is made out of plastic. DO NOT DO THIS with the SID. There is no grounding! I would never do this again with audio stuff (me stupid!!). Anyhow plastic is the easiest material to use for casings (drilling is nothing, and you can glue it easily).

Anyhow, from now on all my cases will be aluminium again. Just the better stuff (tried plastic and wood (MB64) before...)

Greetz!!  ;D