cheap alternative screen

monokinetic

Hi TK et al,

following the sequencer threads with the greatest of desire but in the meantime I may have an idea....

I have noticed here in prague many places selling replacement screens for NoKia phones, rather cheaply. If I was to supply you with one does the offer of writing drivers still stand (or are you busy with taking over the world!)?

kindest regards

D mK

Here is some fuel to the fire...... ;)

The Yampp hardware MP3 player project can use the Nokia 3310 LCD, hopefully this is the one that's commonly available.  The 3310 appears to use an SPI interface, so a driver might not be too difficult to write for those who understand such things (I'm an SPI newbie, so don't look in my direction!  ;) )

Here is the Yampp page detailing the display:http://www.myplace.nu/mp3/nokialcd.htm

There you will find some pictures of the display, a small description, and a link to the datasheet for the controller chip used.

Here is the description of the display:

[tt]The Nokia 3310 LCD is a nice small graphical LCD, suitable for a lot of various projects. The yampp-3/U and yampp-7 MP3 players both can use this display.

The display is 38*35 mm, with an active display surface of 30*22 mm, and a 84*48 pixel resolution.

The display is easy to interface, using standard SPI communication. A 1-10 uF electrolytic capacitor from VOUT to GND, is the only external component needed. [/tt]

Looks like no backlight is possible on these, but side lighting (the way Nokia does it in the phones) looks great and is easier to read in most situations that a standard 16x2 (Higher contrast/wider viewing angle)

You could build a really trick box using one or more of these.   ;D

With this display it might be time to design a mini core module board that would fit in a Ipod size case to run some (limited) MIOS applications........ :)

Have fun!

Smash

The interesting thing on this LCD is, that it is working in "vertical mode", means: customized characters can be print with highest performance like known from the KS0108

Buy and send me such a display, and you will get a driver (sooner or later... ;-))

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hey TK!

I think I still have a broken 3310 at my house! Some friend gave it to me to repair it, but the CPU was broken. So the LCD should still function properly! If you want I certainly would send it to you!

Although I do think that 3310 LCD is raaaaather small for MIOS stuff, its still kinda interesting and funny option!

So, if you're really into that just give me an email with your adress!

PS: I would implement some driver, too. *IF* I was sure that I can do that... ...  :-X   ... I'm absolutely not... so I will try to read the datasheet & get the point & implement some driver, but I'm absolutely sure I won't be as fast as TK would do that (especially because I *ONLY* did work with character displays up to now)

Greetz!  ;)

Hi TK!

This can be really usefull for me. 16x2, 40x2 etc... LCD's cost a lot in this country and they're quite hard to find. I have a friend who repairs cellphones thou, so i guess i can get the nokia LCDs very cheap... like maybe less than $5 a piece! well im hoping :) i'll talk to him.

can u make the driver so that stacking them would be possible? like 3 or 4 nokia LCDs so we can get a bigger diplay... please? just wishing  ;D ;D ;D

Thanks

Ryan

Hey PayC, here is your LCD in action:

mbhp_glcd_pcd5844.jpg

options: up to 8 GLCDs w/o additional hardware

(more GLCDs would be possible by adding a multiplexer for the chip select lines, but who really wants to kill that much Nokia phones? ;-))

the number of connected GLCD doesn't affect the performance (LCD benchmark result: 5543, thats faster then a KS0107/KS0108 based display)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Horay!

Hail Thorsten!

You just saved me a couple of bucks man! i was about to buy the expensive LCD... Now i can use my broken phones, i have 2 ;D, plus i can get more cheap nokia LCD's from a friend of mine

Can't wait to try it out:) Where can we get the details Thorsten?

Ryan

;D ;D

Looks nice TK! I wouldn't have got that baby running within this year!  ;) How long did it take for you? Quarter hour?

btw: I already told TK about this little idea:

You can use the plastic back (where the LCD was in) for very easy & good backlighting (just put 2-4 LEDs right under the LCD - like it was in your phone).

This also means: DOUT can be used!!! Variable backlighting!! If you use 2 LEDs for backlighting u should be able to make up 4 different colors!

*IMAGINE!!!*  Hoooooray!

Nope, didn't mean that. I meant the lighting like in the 3310. The LEDs are appr. 2 mm under the LCD and lighting into a plastic round whatever-thing (like a small, long prisma). This makes the lighting very smooth, without any "hot spots" (very light areas & dark areas). Perhaps TK can make a sample lighting like I mean it and you know whats up. (Its so dammit ... hard to explain what I mean... :P )

TK?  ;D

The soldering took 1 hour, the programming 1 hour, and the documentation a whole evening. So I hope that I don't have to spent even more time to answer your questions (please help each other...)

The driver can be found under MIOS->Download

The wiring diagrams under MBHP->MBHP_LCD

I've tested the single LCD with MIDIbox LC, runs fine! With 3 LCDs you've a nice replacement for the KS0107/0108 solution. Note that the graphical layout of MBLC has been designed for 240x64, but with 3 PCD5844 you've 252x48. Therefore the layout has to be adapted (-> lc_glcd.inc)

Also the layouts of other applications won't match, since only 14x6 characters are displayed on each LCD --- here you also need to adapt the applications.

Have fun!

Best Regards, Thorsten.