your source for flat cables

bosone

if you need flat cables, look for old EIDE, SCSI, COM, parallel cables found inside old computers. i went to my local dump yesterday (the place where people trash old computer - ask for it to your city officies) and found a commodore64 with a working sid and tons of flat cables and connectors! :-)

Yeah,

Our local Recycling Center has some electronic junk for sale.. But I have even a better resource, as my friend is working at local telephone co. and as a electronic geek, he uses his lunch breaks to check what's being thrown out to be shipped to electronics recycling company:

Wide variety of LCD's pulled out of old telephones, most 2*16 but even one 4*40.

19" rack cases.

Misc. electronic parts, like regulators, power supplies, cables ect.

The most of the stuff thrown out is still fully functional, just "outdated". And being recycled back to raw materials.

So it might be worthwhile (all those strange l:o:oks) to ask: "Please, Can I do some dumpster diving" ;)

Bye, Moebius

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

You know what? Germany is some kind of a weird country!! Check out:

I went to our local dump and looked around a bit. Computers, TVs, monitors, all that electric crap! I asked if I can have this or that. The guy there tells me that the people have to pay 10 Euros for getting there stuff away (its really like that), so they *must* not give it away to any other guys. They *HAVE* to throw it away properly, although other people perhaps can still use it. They would injure the law by giving it to me or anyone other!

???

Germany is some kinda hell weird place... ::)

even in italy you cannot (in theory) take things away from the local dump.

i used (only once!) this trick: i entered in the dump with my car with some electronic junk and ask where to trash it. then, when i throw away my things, i looked around and see what might be interesting. i found a C64 (with working SID!)  in this way and transferred (unseen!) it on my car!

That is some EU directive that regulates recycling process. Nowadays even private individuals MUST recycle electronic trash - not to throw it to the common trash (so, none of us has done that :P ). One must pay fee for that - and it's a recycling fee, so that stuff can't be resold.

So it's crucial to enter the chain when stuff has been removed from companys inventory AND before it's shipped to be recycled (to materials). It's kind of nobody's property at that point.

Bye, Moebius

• 2 weeks later...

Don't forget to take your tools... much easier to scavenge with some hefty needle-nose pliers and mammoth wirecutters (some that can crudely chomp through PCB and ABS plastic, not your good ones!).

Picked up some nice midi sockets and colorful wire harnesses for SEQ off some old mobos and didn't have to haul off the whole compys.