Midibox 16 motorfaders + instrument section

incarnation

Hi!

This project rocks and i cant wait to start a midibox. Though i'm a little bit of a newbee. Hope you guys can help me with some questions. I want to make a box for controlling cubase/nuendo.

I want to make a box with a mixersection and an instrumentsection. The mixer section needs 16 motorfaders and 32 to 64 pots. Is there a possibilty to browse through channels for instance if nuendohas 20 channels i can press a left and right button to get to the next or previous set. For instance i start at chan 0 to 16 then i press left and my mixerpart will control 1 to 17 and once i press it again 2 to 18 etc. Or is there maybe another way?

Then my instrument section. It needs 32 to 64 knobs buttons,faders. In my instrument section i want to quickly load in different setups for different instruments. For instance i press my knob and i go to pro53 setup, i press it again i go to fm7 etc. Though my mixersection should be left intakt.

Is this possible?

What modules do i need for that?

I figured at least 2 cores for the mixersection cuz of the motorfaders and maybe a core for the instrument section?

Thx for the help!

William

MIDIbox64 doesn't support motorfaders, but (after a lot of effort from my side), you can use MIDIbox64E as an alternative firmware. This package includes a setup_midibox_ng.asm configuration which matches with the MIDIbox LC layout, and which can drive 8 motorfaders, 8 V-Pots, 1 datawheel, 8 LED rings, 64 LEDs and 64 buttons.

LC/MC clone: It's not only the display which makes the difference, it's the whole concept.

A MIDIbox64(E) can work independent from a host, you can control any MIDI gear with it.

Advantage: very generic approach, disadvantage: a lot of effort to integrate this perfectly into a sequencer software (e.g. if you want to control VST(i)s)

A Mackie/Logic Control requires support from the host software.

Advantage: perfect integration. E.g., if you insert some VSTs into the channel strip, you will see the parameters automatically on LCD. No need for creating different MB64E setups. Disadvantage: beside of the higher prices for the parts, you are limited to the functions which are provided by the host (see some postings above, where somebody wants to create a grouping function)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hi William,

don't know, it will be your job to find a solution ;-)

As I already wrote in another thread: the Mackie protocol was designed for stupid slaves, such extensions normaly have to be integrated into the host application

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hi,

I think, the MIDIBOX LC is the best for your need.

If you want 16 or 24 Faders you have to build the Box twice or triple.

Of course you only have to build the channel section twice or triple. The "Master" functions (like transport, and so on) you only  have to build once !

I can only speak for Cubase:

Meanwhile it is no problem if you have more fader. You just have to  set up  another "Mackie Controller"  as a Slave device.

You don't have to set up the box as a generic Controller, if you use the Mackie Protocol.

The slave solution  works since Version 2.xx. ..... Oh, shit, I forgot the version. Just browse through the Forum. There is a threat on this behaviour, I think half a year ago.

The behaviour of the channel section depends on which Box is Master and the the order of the slaves (but that is no problem).

So if you, for example, press the "bank right" button you'll see the channels 17 to 32 (On a 16 Fader box).

greets

Doc

Incarnation, this is exactly my intention to implement. Doc is right, but have a look on Mackie Control C4 (which brings you additional 4 VPOTs per channel). I'm currently trying to find out the C4 MIDI implementation. Unfortunately Cubase doesn't support it yet. Be patient, it'll take some time, but there is a chance for a nice solution... :-)

Cheers,

Skunk

Hi,

So in midibox lc i see just one rotary knob on every channel so my version would have 16 is is possible to have more in midibox lc?

for instance 3 or 4 maybe even 5 per chan?

No, you can't change this layout because of the Mackie protocol.

In fact, theres not really a need for more encoders in the mixer section.

If you've lerned to deal with this single encoder you don't want more encoders... 8)

I also use several  midiboxes to control several VST Plugins. Thats the best way, I think.

In fact that you can design your midibox  for your purpose, you can make good special controllers for several plugins.

Be aware of designs that are not implemented in Cubase. You'll run in a lot of trouble and Cubase Support is not very helpful in "design" issues. Means: If the feature you want is not implemented yet, you'll always get the answer: "Perhaps in next release ....".

If you want to realize a design with 16 encoders per channel you'll have to use the "generic controller" in cubase. But you also lost the "Display per channel" feature in this operation mode. Not really a good solution.

greets

Doc