AOUT run?

logo64

Greetings,

I am working on a project to build a CV controlled Midibox SID in a Frac-rack format for my modular synthesizer.  I need to build an AOUT module so that I can have the FracSid control filters, S/H circuits, etc.  Problem is... AOUT uses expensive DACs that are reportedly difficult to get ahold of.  I contacted Tim/Smash TV and asked if he was planning on printing up the AOUT boards, and his reply is attached below.  He has a new board designed that uses cheaper/available components, and includes the SHX8 board as part of the design!  He needs interest from 15 people before he would be willing to print up a batch of circuit boards - any takers/comments?

-gerald

------

Hi Gerald!

The short answer is no, Due to difficult availability of the DAC chip

that is used in the design.

Long answer: There is another AOUT module in the works, no idea when it

will be done (I'm not working on this one personally) but it will have

a much easier to obtain parts list.

That $30 DAC chip and the out-of-production sample & hold chips for the

SHX8 sidecar are the only reasons for the re-design. Aside from those

two issues, it's a really great design.

You might be able to "rally the troops" in the forum to find other

people who want pro made AOUT+SHX8 boards, we would need 15 people

willing to spend $10 each to fund the fabrication run. I should be able

to save on the massive setup costs by combining the two on one board.

And you can count me in for one of these myself at this price if you

decide to go this route, so only 13 more needed. ; )

Let me know what you think!

Best

Tim aka SmashTV

Hey Logo, count me in..  If the new design will be as accurate and stable as the old one with the 30$ IC's then thats great.  If the new design is a compromise, then I think that sucks, personally.  For what you are getting for the price, compared to commercial MIDI/cv units, even with the expensive chips it is way worth it!  Im not sure if Smash planned on doing a run of the old ($$) AOUT module? thats the one i'd want. 

noob question: whats the SHx8 board for? is it integral to the MBoxCV unit?  Any ideas on whats in the MBoxSID code concerning cv out/in?

frack modular here too (Blacet), MBoxCV module planned, just waiting to see what is brewing here concerning AOUT before I commit to buying [arts, boards etc..

~Steve  -count me in!  (post this in other sections of the forum!)

Gerald, I just had a look at the SHx8 board.  so 64 CV outs! wow..    Imagine this thing behind the scenes in your modular, normalled to every jack.. you could have patch memory!!! (not knob settings of course)  or patch morphing!!  :o

64 cv outs seems a bit much though, but if smash included it on the boards, then hey, why not?  were you realyl planniong to use more than the AOUT CV provided?

~Steve

He has a new board designed that uses cheaper/available components, and includes the SHX8 board as part of the design!

Whoop don't get the wrong idea here, I'm not working on a new AOUT design myself, But the goal of a dac using a cheaper part or different technology (r2r ladder) has been talked about here on the forum before.

Also keep in mind the SHX8 uses chips that are out of production/NLA so any candidates for replacement are welcomed, and it does not make sense to design anything new around them.

I was thinking along the lines of a small run of the current AOUT and SHX8 on the same board.

Best

Smash

Hi,

64 cv outs seems a bit much though, but if smash included it on the boards, then hey, why not?  were you realyl planniong to use more than the AOUT CV provided?

~Steve

Imagine your own custom built hybrid midi controlled analog drum/synth/fx box;  (i am ;D btw. we need smileys that drool); your going to need a lot of cv's for that.

Smash if this goes; you can count me in for 2!

cheers, marcel

BTW the DAC's (max525) aren't so expensive anymore, bout 10 euro@maxim (no more sampling people; this is cheap enough for such an IC; AOUT will only cost about 30 euro)

:-[

I WAS TOO ENTHOUSIASTIC>>>

+/-$10,- is the price for when you order >1k (1000) DAC's, of course buying one is still quite expensive;

MAX525ACPP

Order Multiple 1   

Quantity  1-24    25-99    100-499  500-999  1000 and up 

Price      $33.01  $26.22  $19.42    $16.82      $15.54

oh well; anyone for a group order  :-\