JDM PIC programmer HELP!!!

Guest Q-Trax

Hello gang

I am trying to make a JDM PIC programmer on vectorboard and looking for someone who`s done

one or can help me with the lay out as i can only find

a layout for the PCB. I would be Very Very greatful for any help given.

From

Matt. who`s new to this but not to makin tunes!

heh, power drill on a pcb eh ;) - sounds dangerous!

I'm using a dremel for pcb work...

Depending on where ur located, you can get small drillbits from most electronic stores, or ebay for instance - just type 'carbide drill bit(s)' or summin - i've seen loads about on there...

Or, for the cheaper option get a jewllerers drill, or alchemedies (spelling?) drill - u can pick on of these up for a few quid...

Drill sizes, 0.8mm upwards should be fine...

cpl o links:

http://www.megauk.com/cgi-bin/mega/lp.pl?page=http://www.megauk.com/carbide_drill_bits.php

http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=search&item=DRB-9&type=store

HTH...

Dan

Went to B&Q and got me a dremel today and drilled my board in about 5 min`s wicked!!!!! That power drill was costing me to much loot in drill bits. I will be attempting to program a chip tommorow so if it goes tits up i will be sure to holla.

Matt

just make sure you are following the "how to program" page on Thorsten's site 'to the T', cos I thought I was, and didn't realise that I had skipped a few steps (configuration of IC prog) cos the instructions had been updated since I last used IC prog. It's usually something simple that has been overlooked that halts  these projects!

Yeah, I just broke down and grabbed a Dremel a couple weeks ago and don't know how I got by this long without it. I already had a small bench drill press.

By the way, Dremel had a pack of 5(?) bits that I bought with the intention of breaking, and was never able to break them. They are a 32nd of an inch or something, and they actually have a pcb in the picture. I had to drill probably a few hundred holes for an EPROM programmer, and they were perfect for everything but the regulator and the D-Sub pins. For those, I used a Dremel "ball tip" burring bit, which was a bit larger. I see those recommended as pcb drills a lot. The real ones are for dentistry or something.

I'm sure my Dremel bits are dull as crap now, but they didn't break. I'm going to start keeping a bunch of tubes of them.

- take care all,

George

Get down to Maplin and get a drill stand  ;) £35 turns a dremel into a upright drill ;) i still have not had time to program my first chip yet so i will updat you guys.

Peace Out

Matt

"you can not polish a turd"