bootloader? id header? ehm.. help?

Wisefire

hi guys,

im starting up with a midibox sid aswell.. but i had something i didnt understand..

so you have a .hex file which is a bootloader, but what is an id header.. i know it tells the bootloader

what it is supposed to know.. but how.. is it a part of the bootloader which i would have to edit?

greetz,

wisefire

The ID is not part of the hex file. You set the ID in the burner program (IC-Prog, P18...) before flashing the loader.

It's all explained here:

http://www.ucapps.de/mios_bootstrap.html

Raphael

P.S.: You can change the ID even with already burned bootloader by flashing this application: http://www.ucapps.de/mios/change_id_v1_4.zip

When you buy the PIC, you can ask to have the bootloader already inside the pic.

Then what you'll have to do is simple :

1/ When you switch on your midibox your LCD will display a black line during 2 seconds : during that time you'll have to send the MIOS 1.8 sysex file to the device via MIDI.

2/ After the MIOS is installed you can upload your application to the device whenever you want

About the header : it depends on your LCD type (graphical or not), etc. Just follow the link Raphael gave you.

Hope it helps ...

i have read the site, its isnt really explainatory..

and im not getting a pic from smashtv (extra shipping cost) or mike and jörgs webshop (17 euro for a pic? to expensive even without the shipping)

ive opted for another source.. which cant program it for me.. so ive descided to do it myself.. ill figure it out when i get my pic here i guess..

i'm just having the same issues but i think i just got it this time:

1. get the (blank) PIC

2. look up what you're gonna use it for and determine the needed ID

if i got this right then i'll need an all-zeroes ID for a regular lcd master core of the multi-sid, and for each slave core an ID with 1, 2, 3, 4, ... at the end of the zeroes

3. get ahold of a PIC burner of some sort

eg. build yourself a JDM burner, go to a friend who already built/bought one

4. plug your PIC into the burner

5. check/correct the PIC ID in the burner app.

apparently the values of what you need to change (according to the example i'm following) it's located "in bitfield ID[57-63]" - as written on the ucapps. i guess that means you have to edit hex value on offset 63 but i'm not exactly sure. the screenshot on ucapps shows a text field where you can just enter the ID and that's that. i hope it's that easy.

6. load the bootloader hex into the burner app and burn it.

now i'm not exactly sure if all those restrictions for the buffers and delays apply here also but let's say you just burn it the easiest way.

7. plug the PIC with burned bootloader into the core and connect it to your pc via midi. from here on follow instructions on http://www.ucapps.de/mios_bootstrap.html

someone that's done this before - PLEASE tell us this is correct. or wrong. and then correct us. the info about this is really lacking.

Yeah kokoon, you're right!

the screenshot on ucapps shows a text field where you can just enter the ID and that's that. i hope it's that easy.

Yes, it's that easy ;D

(The screenshot is from IC-prog, the program to use with the JDM. If you use the PIC_BURNER module ther is a simmilar field on the "memeory map" tab in the P18 software)

6. load the bootloader hex into the burner app and burn it.

now i'm not exactly sure if all those restrictions for the buffers and delays apply here also but let's say you just burn it the easiest way.

PIC_Burner works for without fiddling around. With JDM I had to adjust the I/O delay on some computers and there was no chance for it on a laptop. ut in general JDM works OK.

Raphael

the pic burner is to large to assemble easily.. for me atleast..

and ICs are not that easy to get at the electronicstores we have here..

also..  ( i havent done the math though) its probably more expensive..

the jdm module is small in comparison.. and the broccoli18 system is even smaller..

im building a budget sid.. as cheap as i can.. without compromises though..

however if you dont want to spend endless hours worrying and searching and rebuilding

and what not.. the pic burner is probably the way to go..

or use MBHP_BURNER (broccoli18 doesn't work with all PCs)

FAQMARKER

Best Regards, Thorsten.

This is a bit misleading comment. Any programmer for any device, that uses unbuffered connections from parallel port is prone to problems with different hardware on PC side.

Bye, Moebius