MIDIbox of the Week (Traktor Controller by Kris)

TK.

• 2 weeks later...

Great project there ! :)

Sometime back i had been toying with the idea of combining an iatx (notepad size motherboard) with a tft screen & making it into some sort of mixing machine (however this was before i knew of mios) ..ended up just making a all in one multimedia flightcase  machine based around a standard motherboard - which integrated a scanner, sblive, tuner gfx card, dvd burner & some other widgetry.. designed to give all the full blown pc wants; in a flightcase not much bigger than most peoples tower computer cases.

I have since, on the portable jukebox/mixing front; combined a 500mhz fujitsu 10.4in touchscreen lifebook with a 300gb external hard drive in a half lunchbox sized custom alu suitcase... have to finish the case... though this has got me thinking ..may well add a mios controller to it too :)

ill dig out a photo of both soon...

• 10 months later...

this was made with standard pc components micro atx board, standard hardisk 80gb sata ,the cd drives are slim laptop types ,the lcd is a standard one taken out of the case the only non standard componet is the power supply its a dc-dc to allow the unit to be powerd from car battery so that it can be solar powerd.

Wow that is *****n awesome. Great work man, and I absolutely love the solar power, three cheers, this is top notch. Now we just need solar powered PA speakers huh... Guess it's just a matter of more panels and more storage cells :D I'd love to see a FPE panel on the thing, it'd really do it justice :)

ive got a solar powerd sound system using a car amp and some studio monitors so it can be powerd from the same bank of batteries,  the thing with powering things from solar or dc sources is to get rid of as much inversion as possible so converting dc into ac then the device converting it back into dc this is the trick to making it efficient id like to get a wind turbine next to add to the solar cells

Man, I don't know how I failed to see this thread before!  That thing is pretty ingenious. Do you mind me asking about how much it cost you to build? Also, it looks like you have 2 audio cards on it or is that one that you split up?

I sure would love to see pics of the inside of it. But lastly, how has it suited your needs?

hello mikeb

as for cost loads! this midibox addiction is exspensive, but its priceless it suits my mobile needs like no other bit of kit could (thats the beauty of custom building). its an  m audio 1010 delta sound card with 8

analogue ins and 8 analogue outs, i need so many ins because i use it for recording live musicians with eight mics into cubase sx. which is why im making a new midi controller top plate (i dont use traktor so much anymore) seem to be using cubase with reason rewired more  im a bit embaressed by inside as its not as neat as id hoped but anyway here are some photos hope you enjoy  when ive fineshed the new top plate it should be perfect well almost

• 3 months later...

hi,

as promised ..er ages ago ..i found my pics of the flightcase pc i built ..would take some new ones ..however its out of serive atm & in need of a new screen and the scanners dead. Nicked the screen for a video projector project ;)

P6193285_r.jpg

P6193287_r.jpg

These where taken quite some time ago, in a friends old house.. doesnt live there anymore ...let alone the same county !

thanks for the photos

it looks sweet man right up my street

sorry to bother you about them but its an issue that keeps coming up for me

portable computers 

its something im thinking about again i want to make a system for live video manipulation

options im thinking about are a rack mount pc, something like the pictures you sent me or maybe linking a few mini macs together

anyway when it becomes clear ill make it

ps did it run quietly

pps i know what you mean about photos the ones of my box wher taken when i waqs living in goa im now back in sunny blighty

oh well life goes on

regards kris

nah.. its fine ..no bother.

i'm just about as organised as a bowl of spagetti half the time..

okis, yeah it runs real quiet ..due to thoughtful use of ventilation and the right fans.

btw the rollerball was a custom paintjob ..i detested the standard greyish silver microsofft provided it in ..so out with the metalic, pearlescent paints ;)

i may resurrect it & do just that at somepoint..

maybe later this year i will rebuild it around a formidable spec dual core board (hmm new, not so neat case panel redesign for that :/) ...and sling in a slightly bigger new screen for good measure. and use it as the 'studio in a box'. ..that machine is only a p3 733-133 with a gig of ram ...but my, it ticked over quite well indeed :)

im rebuilding my box at the moment

new toplate layout  i might put in a bigger screen even new board etc ill see

it works really well as a studio in a box

im having loads of fun at the moment using reason/cubase rewired using reason to jam with live muscians drummers didj etc

regards kris